Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VESA Pushes Out DisplayID 2.0 As The Successor To EDID For Monitors & Electronics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    Has Wayland even been written in a scalable way that DisplayID will be possible? Probably not. Oh well, it was fun whilst it lasted. Back to X11 we go
    I think Wayland (the protocol) doesn't really care. Compositors use KMS to setup the displays and I believe even KMS doesn't really care how the display information was retrieved. So this would mean mostly just driver work for developers. These things are abstracted away on lower levels than Wayland compositors or Xorg these days.

Comment

Man i remember when the EDID of my monitor got corrupted. It was a whole ride for me to fix it.

Comment

Hoping for some things they should get right this time (compared to EDID):
        - proper checksums (linear checksums suck)
        - strict specification and complicance checks - my 102cm TV claims to be 16x9 cm²

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
          Has Wayland even been written in a scalable way that DisplayID will be possible?
          Wayland does not care about this information at all, EDID is detected by GPU drivers and then parsed by wayland compositors (that have taken over the Xorg functions still in use today).

And quite frankly parsing this data is a joke, we are still talking of the machine equivalent of a 10-lines text file.

The issue is when someone screws up on the OEM side and the screen is sending crap data (much more common than you would expect), or when there are sketchy GPU drivers that don't pass this information from the GPU to the userspace, not your choice of display server.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
            Hopefully this post didn't remind you of the old days of Linux/X.Org with monitor/EDID problems being common
            Was there really much of a problem? IIRC you could pass for it to not use EDID and set it manually like before EDID, but maybe my memory deceives me.
            Yes and no. It was something that was supposed to "just work", but the reality was, as it is still today: OEMs that broke or ignored a standard. This is why some displays came with a disk that told the OS what their broken EDID actually meant when it said "SKJKLJLK(*&ULSX!~" (that's meant to be gibberish)

Comment

I don't think we can hope for something like the USB-C cable guy, because displays are more expensive than USB cables. The conformity testing would have to be crowdsourced.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Yes and no. It was something that was supposed to "just work", but the reality was, as it is still today: OEMs that broke or ignored a standard. This is why some displays came with a disk that told the OS what their broken EDID actually meant when it said "SKJKLJLK(*&ULSX!~" (that's meant to be gibberish)
                Yeah, there's no standard that's so useful and clear that manufacturers can't screw it up. And then refuse to fix it. "We can fix it in the drivers" they like to say. "Here install this CD for the monitor. It's Windows only."

I still laugh when I remember the video posted by a few BestBuy guys ages ago when HDMI was new where the Sony player connected to a Sony television claimed it wasn't a valid video source. Stupid HDCP.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

The days of having to set the modelines manually and depending upon the hardware with some monitors there was quirky EDID. I still have one display around where if using the legacy fglrx driver its EDID parsing remains botched.
                  I have a small TV here that do not like be in 1080p on Windows, but work in Linux if you mess around in the settings.

Comment

I have a old plasma TV that barely works on HDMI on anything, it doesn't work on my laptop, PS3, Xbox 360...

Comment

Working...
                    X