Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12-Way Graphics Card OpenCL Comparison With AMDGPU-PRO 17.40 ROCm, NVIDIA 384.98

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was looking at ROCm yesterday and the rpm packages are broken. It seems that they have dependencies on packages that are not available and sometimes they depend on incorrectly named packages.

For example, if one attempts to install "miopen-opencl", package manager complains that that package depends on a package called "rocm-opencl-dev", even though there is no such package available. What is available is "rocm-opencl-devel" however.

I suspect that this is due to someone converting ubuntu package to rpms because development packages on deb based distros tend to have "-dev" extension and on rpm based distros they tend to have "-devel" extension. I have also seen such problem when attempting to use cmake's cpack package generation as well, which (in my experience) is very broken.

Has anyone else run into these problems and are there any plans to clean this up?

Comment

ViennaCL seems to be mostly a CUDA library that happens to have an Nvidia optimized OpenCL backend as well... their site just about says as much.

Comment

Originally posted by vito View Post
        I was looking at ROCm yesterday and the rpm packages are broken. It seems that they have dependencies on packages that are not available and sometimes they depend on incorrectly named packages.

For example, if one attempts to install "miopen-opencl", package manager complains that that package depends on a package called "rocm-opencl-dev", even though there is no such package available. What is available is "rocm-opencl-devel" however.
        Are you installing the ROCm packages on the ROCm kernel/thunk or on the AMDGPU-PRO driver ? AFAIK they should work on the other ROCm packages just not on AMDGPU-PRO - if are seeing problems with an all-ROCM install (eg replacement kernel etc...) pls let me know and we'll have someone look into it ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Are you installing the ROCm packages on the ROCm kernel/thunk or on the AMDGPU-PRO driver ? AFAIK they should work on the other ROCm packages just not on AMDGPU-PRO - if are seeing problems with an all-ROCM install (eg replacement kernel etc...) pls let me know and we'll have someone look into it ASAP.
          I've attempted both but sadly without much success. I believe this is a problem with incorrect packaging:

$ sudo dnf install miopen-opencl
          Error:
          Problem: conflicting requests
          - nothing provides rocm-opencl-dev needed by miopen-opencl-1.1.4-1.x86_64

As I said, miopen-opencl seems to require "rocm-opencl-dev". The only such package has "-devel" in the name:

$ dnf search rocm-opencl-dev
          rocm-opencl-devel.x86_64 : OpenCL/ROCm

I decided to dig around - it seems that the problem is in the CMake setup - the wrong dependency seems to be listed:
          https://github.com/ROCmSoftwarePlatf...Lists.txt#L162

This:
          set(CPACK_RPM_PACKAGE_REQUIRES "openssl, rocm-opencl-dev, rocm-utils, hip_hcc, miopengemm")

Should be changed to:
          set(CPACK_RPM_PACKAGE_REQUIRES "openssl, rocm-opencl-devel, rocm-utils, hip_hcc, miopengemm")

Thanks for looking into it!

Comment

Thank you Michael for honouring my benchmark request. I guess my Phoronix Premium subscription was worth it.

I am a little confused as to what AMD OpenCL implementation is being used for these benchmarks exactly. IIRC, there is ROCm, which is open-source, and there is also a proprietary libOpenCL.so that ships with AMDGPU-PRO. Has anything changed? Could you clarify?

Comment

Working...
            X