Open-Source Win: RADV Trades Blows With AMDGPU-PRO Vulkan In F1 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vickop View Post
    Has anyone had any problems? My system freezes after a few seconds of starting to play the game. I'm using Mesa 17.2.3 with openSUSE Tumbleweed, running RX480 and Ryzen 5 1600. I have tried to update the bios to the latest version and force the kernel update 4.14rc7, but it still fails.

I think I have identified the problem. It seems to happen when I activate the "smoke shadows" option.

Any help?
    First of all, try disabling the steam overlay. It's known to cause lockups in vulkan games.

Comment

There finally seems to be an inflection point especially for AMD that open source drivers are finally not only matching the proprietary but are beginning to outmatch them. In many instances by a LOT ! Just outstanding work !! Hopefully results like these will continue to inspire other open source projects. It really does seem that the entirety of Open Source is reaching some paradigm shift of quality and robustness which hopefully causes an acceleration of both in the future over multiple projects.

Comment

ultra law image quality settings
        Typo

I'm impressed!
        I would like to see a community effort on running the open source driver on windows.
        Best case, AMD drops support for the other drivers :P

Comment

Originally posted by valici View Post
          Also it would be nice to have both RADV and AMD Vulkan implementation.
          I disagree. What would be nice is for both the RADV developers and AMD team up and create one outstanding driver, based on the best of both projects. Rather than duplicate effort and have one of them good in one area and not another, and vice-versa. In the latter case, users would have to choose one or the other, and never get the best of both worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
            It will be some fun healthy competition between them once AMD open sources it.
            There is already a competition between them and IF AMD ever open-sources its driver then people will (or should) investigate pros/cons of both and axe lesser driver for spare parts. Nvidia binary blob vs amd driver is a healthy competition (both on hardware and software front).

Existence of multiple AMD drivers isn't helping anyone, it just bleeds resources (driver developers, distro maintainers, game developers) and ultimately fractures already fractured linux space.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
              Hope the next amdgpu pro release brings a Vulkan performance uplift.
              It's definitely nowhere near on par with its Windows counterpart.

Comment

Originally posted by vickop View Post
                Has anyone had any problems? My system freezes after a few seconds of starting to play the game. I'm using Mesa 17.2.3 with openSUSE Tumbleweed, running RX480 and Ryzen 5 1600. I have tried to update the bios to the latest version and force the kernel update 4.14rc7, but it still fails.

I think I have identified the problem. It seems to happen when I activate the "smoke shadows" option.

Any help?
                I have those freezes too, on a RX 570 and a i7 3770k. Will try run it with all on the very low to see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Yes, for some reason, AMD Vulkan driver on Linux is slower than on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Yea, but how much of that is the driver and how much of that are the games

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

First of all, try disabling the steam overlay. It's known to cause lockups in vulkan games.
                      What do I have to consider?
                      I think it is always disabled on our sons account...

Comment

Working...
                      X