Radeon RADV vs. NVIDIA Vulkan Performance For F1 2017 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Marginally better = AMD can only beat the 1060 with AA on. Truly wonderful the mind of a fanboy is
    You sir are speaking like a true NVidia fanboy.

Comment

It looks really good to me. Maybe this is good time to think about future of amdgpu-pro-vk

@cl333r, I hate this acronym but.. LOL.

Comment

Marginally better = AMD can only beat the 1060 with AA on. Truly wonderful the mind of a fanboy is
        Ah come the fuck on, you know what he meant.
        We are seeing a 20-ish fps difference between the 580 and the 1060 on a total fps of 160-190 fps. That's within spitting distance on 1080p.

On 4k it's the same story.

Comment

This is my comment. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My comment is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my comment is useless. Without my comment, I am useless. I must write my comment true. I must write straighter than my enemy, who is trying to ridicule me. I must ridicule him before he ridicules me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my comment and myself are defenders of Company X, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Ah come the fuck on, you know what he meant.
            We are seeing a 20-ish fps difference between the 580 and the 1060 on a total fps of 160-190 fps. That's within spitting distance on 1080p.

On 4k it's the same story.
            No, I don't know what he meant. The 580 should be running circles around the 1060. And Vegas should be even faster. But no, Nvidia's performance is only "marginally better".
            There are many aspects where AMD deserves praise, but performance is not one of them for the time being.

Originally posted by MartinN View Post

You sir are speaking like a true NVidia fanboy.
            At least I argued my PoV.

Comment

As long as i am running Linux i favor open source... And if amdgpu + mesa is performing almost as proprietary nvidia drivers there is no discussion.... ... if i want to run proprietary i run windows!!! End of discussion!

Comment

These benchmarks are even more impressive if you consider this is RADV . Great work Dave, Bas, and all other contributors.
                Last edited by chimpy; 04 November 2017, 03:53 AM.

Comment

No, I don't know what he meant.
                  Read it more carefully then.

He said that performance is close enough, and current performance + open driver is good enough for him (and others). Sure he said it in a way that may have rustled some jimmies, but that is.

The 580 should be running circles around the 1060.
                  Uhm, no this is wrong. The 580 is a mid-end card, it trades blows with the 1060 even on Windows and is priced accordingly. AMD didn't have high-end cards to compete with the 1070 and 1080 until Vega.

AMD is ready to introduce Radeon RX 580. Utilizing the same Ellesmere GPU at a slightly higher core clock rate, the company hopes to win over gamers using older graphics cards based on 28nm processors.

And Vegas should be even faster
                  This is correct, Vega should run better but the driver for it is more immature.

There are many aspects where AMD deserves praise, but performance is not one of them for the time being.
                  yeah, we must not praise AMD until it is clearly better than NVIDIA, we cannot just praise it when the games are playable and have pretty decent framerates to be enjoyable.

Besides, RADV (the driver used here) isn't written by AMD anyway, AMD can still be praised for allowing that to happen though (and not opposing strenuously to any open driver effort like the other team).

Comment

I'll give up a little gaming performance for the advantages of open source such as being able to run Wayland

Comment

No, I don't know what he meant. The 580 should be running circles around the 1060. And Vegas should be even faster. But no, Nvidia's performance is only "marginally better". There are many aspects where AMD deserves praise, but performance is not one of them for the time being.
                      Just curious, why do you think the 580 should be running circles around the 1060 on this game, particularly at resolutions where FPS is sufficiently high that per-frame overhead starts to dominate over actual graphics work ?

You can't use the flops argument here since AFAICS the game was not written around one of the modern APIs (DX11-over-Vulkan doesn't count) and so will probably have not been written to make full use of the compute throughput of the 580.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X