Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
    questionable financial deals to monopolize the console market
    Uhm, dafuq is this trainload of tinfoil?
    AMD is a one-stop-shop that also happens to be significantly cheaper than Intel and NVIDIA, and consoles being traditionally very cost-sensitive hardware.
    And probably ARM royally sucking at anything near performance.

and without a freebie x86 license.
    And this matters on GPUs because?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      We all know the story by now: because chips aren't fully unlocked, Nvidia is somehow screwing their customers. No chance they unlock chips after the manufacturing matures enough to improve yields. No sir, not one chance.
      Even better, they might also be shipping locked chips on purpose and it would still not be "screwing their customers", because the prices are different, and you still get what you paid for.

I mean the Ti GPUs are more powerful than the non-Ti, and NVIDIA charges like 200$ more for the Ti GPUs so...

The douche-maneuvers done by NVIDIA were the ones about having GDDR on bottlenecked bandwith so that a 4GB card was actually running like a 2.5GB or something like that.

Kids these days, they don't even know how to flame properly.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Even better, they might also be shipping locked chips on purpose and it would still not be "screwing their customers", because the prices are different, and you still get what you paid for.

I mean the Ti GPUs are more powerful than the non-Ti, and NVIDIA charges like 200$ more for the Ti GPUs so...

The douche-maneuvers done by NVIDIA were the ones about having GDDR on bottlenecked bandwith so that a 4GB card was actually running like a 2.5GB or something like that.

Kids these days, they don't even know how to flame properly.
        Reasoning will not stand in the way of a good conspiracy theory, I know that much.

And about the 970, it was about 0.5GB on a 4GB card. A stupid move, I won't argue that, but the impact was mostly theoretical, because you'd have to run an app that spent most of its time using between 3.5 and 4GB VRAM to be put in a position to get poor performance when a proper 4GB card would have done better.

Comment

First of all people should know that is very good for them when a vendor fails at the beginning but recovers after. That way you can buy a strong component for a small price and get a huge update letter. For example a friend of mine bought a Vega56 for 450 bucks, then he did a 150mv undervolting and an overclocking at 1.6ghz with 160wp consumption, then flashed. Now he has a gpu 25% stronger than before that can kill anything except a 1080ti. He did the clever choice to buy OP numbers (11.5TFlops OC now) and not FPS plus the clever choice to buy the dirty cores lasecutted as this ensures an AAA part. He expects the performance to get even better in the future. I could bay to if i could find an ITX one.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            I think the typo is in the 1070 column - it says 128 bit for the current board but AFAIK it is actually 256 bit already.
            There's definitely a typo there seeing how I distinctly remember that the 1080 and 1070 both have a 256 lane wide memory bus (1080 Ti has a 384 wide and 1060 has a 192 wide). Nvidia has had 256 lane wide memory busses on their x70 and standard x80 cards since the 600-series.

As for the actual card itself, judging by the price and performance (it isn't all that much faster than a 1070) it just looks almost pointless. They could have just lowered the price on the 1070 and slotted the 1070 Ti in it's place, but it seems like they don't want to take a hit to their margins so they just slotted it in between the 1070 and 1080 both in terms of performance and price.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              And about the 970, it was about 0.5GB on a 4GB card. A stupid move, I won't argue that, but the impact was mostly theoretical
              The main issue (and the reason they got sued) was that they were selling a card with 4GB of VRAM that could only use 3.5GB effectively. A bad marketing practice, not because of performance issues.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                The main issue (and the reason they got sued) was that they were selling a card with 4GB of VRAM that could only use 3.5GB effectively. A bad marketing practice, not because of performance issues.
                Well, there were 4GB VRAM physically installed on the board. Oh well, water under the bridge, let's hope we never see that ever again.

Comment

Did anyone ever make "3.5 is the new 4" T-shirts ?
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    Did anyone ever make "3.5 is the new 4" T-shirts ?
                    It was not needed as the LEGACY shirts were still selling quite well.

Comment

Working...
                    X