AMD Developers Begin Making Open-Source FreeSync/AdaptiveSync Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
    Does FreeSync even have a future? Nobody seems willing to answer this question, when AMD already announced its successor will be PROPRIETARY.
    FreeSync is a spec, validation tests and a trademark, that happens to be royalty-free for anyone wanting to implement it. FreeSync 2 does not change this (unless they decide to monetize it).

I don't get where you read that. Freesync on HDMI is "proprietary" too for that matter.
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 17 October 2017, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post

VESA standardized adaptive sync in 2014. The problem was they didn't make it mandatory on Displayport 1.3+ which let Nvidia get out of actually supporting it.

And I have no idea what Intel is doing. They should have had support for this years ago.
      Yeah, pretty much that's what happened. But if they made it mandatory, display manufacturers would be "forced" to support it (if they want to meet standard requirements), and GPU vendors would proably follow without making all this mess, in fact if Intel does adopt "Free Sync" way (VESA) nvidia would pretty much have to follow the spec. Does Intel even have "X-sync" standard on their iGPU? If not, I wonder the same, wth are they doing.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
        Another benefit of Adaptive Sync is the ability to play video content at its native framerate (24, 24000/1001, 30, 30000/1001, 25, 50, 60000/1001) without jitter in the presentation time. Another is the correctly-timed playback of gifs (which are inherently variable-frame-rate, and never synced to today's displays on account of having inter-frame delays specified in whole number milliseconds).
        Yes! I would love to see this.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post
          darkbasic Both FreeSync and G-Sync were done by wrong people, it is technology that display manufacturers should have introduced and GPU vendors followed.
          And display manufacturers would be more inclined to make a good open standard usable by all because of what reason?

Can I remind you that in stagnant markets like PC they keep making total shit HD-ready TN screens when they could really have switched to at least decent fullHD TN screens if not IPS screens like 5 years ago?

Meanwhile on mobile they push 4k 5'' screens, because I need 4k on my smartphone.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
            Another benefit of Adaptive Sync is the ability to play video content at its native framerate (24, 24000/1001, 30, 30000/1001, 25, 50, 60000/1001) without jitter in the presentation time. Another is the correctly-timed playback of gifs (which are inherently variable-frame-rate, and never synced to today's displays on account of having inter-frame delays specified in whole number milliseconds).
            This is an attractive aspect of dynamic refresh rates which could benefit even non-gamers, but it's been largely ignored by developers. The only way currently in existence to play video with dynamic refresh rate is to use Windows 10 and the video player that comes with it, and that's not a realistic proposal because it's severely lacking in other, more important features, so it's better to use something like MPC-HC instead, even if you loose the dynamic refresh rates.

Also, if you have a high refresh rate display with 120 or 144hz, video playback of common formats will be perfectly smooth anyway, as long as the software is capable of delivering those frames in a timely fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
              So once this is out will the community be able to study how it works and write freesync drivers for Nvidia and Intel too?
              That would really be something, would also get the attention of the non-linux tech press.
              Intel already said that they will support adaptive sync but I don't think their hardware is there, yet. Otherwise we would certainly have seen Ultrabooks with adaptive sync.
              Nvidia is there, obviously, but doesn't support it openly for political reasons. If Nouveau devs implemented adaptive sync support, that would definitely be a nice kick in their ass.

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
              Does FreeSync even have a future? Nobody seems willing to answer this question, when AMD already announced its successor will be PROPRIETARY.
              FreeSync 2 is not really the successor. FreeSync = VESA Adaptive Sync. Freesync 2 = FreeSync+HDR+quality standards. AMD basically introduced FS2 because reviewers kept telling things like "G-Sync is better than FreeSync" after looking at two completely different displays.

Both FreeSync and G-Sync were done by wrong people, it is technology that display manufacturers should have introduced and GPU vendors followed. Unless AMD, Intel and nvidia come up and follow one standard, none of those technologies have future.
              You know, VESA panel self refresh and adaptive VBLANK intervals had been there first. AMD based FreeSync upon this and eventually VESA integrated it as adaptive sync. There is and have been one industry standard for years.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Can I remind you that in stagnant markets like PC they keep making total shit HD-ready TN screens when they could really have switched to at least decent fullHD TN screens if not IPS screens like 5 years ago?

Meanwhile on mobile they push 4k 5'' screens, because I need 4k on my smartphone.
              While I agree, I might have to remind you that people are willing to spend hundreds of bucks for new smartphones every second year but not more than 100 bucks for a monitor they'll be using for a much longer period of time...
              Last edited by juno; 17 October 2017, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                And display manufacturers would be more inclined to make a good open standard usable by all because of what reason?

You might be right, they could use any "clever" marketing nonsense to claim anything..., but IPS screens have their own problems (latency), still doesn't justify making total shit TN screens, you can make good TN screen, and I saw few Samsung low-end models that were quite decent for quite resonable price, the only problem with those low-end screens (and generally most low-mid range LCD's) are bad blacks and poor color acuracy (often way too much blue without ability to tune it properly).

juno Yeah I know, others already addressed that in rpevious comments, but they didn't make it mandatory standard (tho it might not be so helpful anyway it seems).

Comment

Intel isn't going to implement AdaptiveSync unless display panels start supporting it. Display panels won't support it unless companies ask for it and move past DisplayPort/eDP 1.2, which they haven't, despite GPUs supporting the newer standard. Companies won't do that unless there is a big push from Business/Commercial/Enterprise/Consumer users to do it. The next HDMI has it's own version called VRR, which will get adoption for gaming monitors, but might not take on UHDTVs.

Comment

You might be right, they could use any "clever" marketing nonsense to claim anything...,
                    Bulk of crap screens are not chosen over features, but on cost alone (especially those that go in any laptop under 800$).

but IPS screens have their own problems (latency),
                    IPS wide viewing angles + good colour accuracy are much more important for most screen users, which are the ones more harmed by current crap screens.
                    IPS latency matters somewhat only for gaming, and even a low-end IPS beats the crap out of even a good TN any day on anything that isn't latency.

Then again, I said at least "good TN", as I did see TNs that have decent viewing angles and decent color accuracy too, but not in cheap stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
                      While I agree, I might have to remind you that people are willing to spend hundreds of bucks for new smartphones every second year but not more than 100 bucks for a monitor they'll be using for a much longer period of time...
                      Which is one of the big reasons why I said the PC market is stagnant for them, and they won't really be intrigued to invest tons of cash in something like adaptive sync on their own.

Meanwhile, they did a whole lot of work on optimizing screen refreshing (partial screen updates where only the changed part of the screen is actually refreshed, not the whole panel) and making differential data transfers, standardizing things a bit with eDisplayPorts (a ribbon cable for screen that is basically a display port and not something custom with additional power lines for an for the lamp circuit like most screens before them), which isn't anywhere near cheap, but it is required for mobile and embedded devices, which is not a stagnant market for them.

Comment

Working...
                      X