No announcement yet.

HP Rolls Out The First "Raven Ridge" Zen+Vega APU Notebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Vega"? Isn't that supposed to mean the highest-end-flagship cards? Not something I'd expect on a mobile device.

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Historically, I don't recall either Intel or AMD bumping up the number when creating mobile chips of the same generation. For example, you can find Haswell parts that are in the 4000 series for both laptops and desktops. The mobile parts are still a bit different in architecture but they're similar enough that they're considered the same generation.
    And yet Haswell Xeons are called "-v3".

Probably best not to question marketing...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      "Vega"? Isn't that supposed to mean the highest-end-flagship cards? Not something I'd expect on a mobile device.

And yet Haswell Xeons are called "-v3".

Probably best not to question marketing...
      Vega is an architecture, not a SKU.
      Last edited by Jedibeeftrix; 16 October 2017, 05:54 PM.

Comment

No dual channel no party.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I have no idea. You could be right (in which case I suppose it should be called the 2500U) but it seems weird to me that AMD would already push forward a next-gen part without even completing their current gen, especially in such a short amount of time. If Zen+ (or Zen 2; whatever the correct term is) is in fact implemented in these APUs and the forthcoming AM4 APUs, I hope they made enough adjustments to overclockability and made the RAM less picky. If not, the Ryzen 2000 series might not be too successful, unless there is a significant boost in IPC (which I don't expect). Now that Intel has been adding more physical cores across their product lineup with a minimal price increase, Ryzens are starting to look less attractive.
          Well, I do remember reading it somewhere but I cannot find the source for it right now...sorry... But this could be a good reason for the name. Anyway, Zen+ seems to be aimed for enabling higher clocks on 12nm...

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
            What do you mean.
            There's mobile (laptop) och there's desktop, mobile is released the year before like BR was on mobile last year and on desktop this year.
            Mobile might take a bit longer after release before it can be seen in final products since that's up to the notebook manufactures.
            RR will come to laptops this year and desktops next year.
            It is just something I saw somewhere that I cannot find the source for right now. So take it with a pinch of salt... Anyway, looking at AMDs roadmap, pinnacle ridge with Zen+ is going to be released in q1 but they are not Apus...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              There will be different Vega like there was different Polaris, the big one is Vega 10.
              Vega or Vega based hardware will most likely replace Polaris next year as mainstream.
              I think we will more Vega chip/cards then we saw Polaris.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

I might be alone in this, but i like that it's a single memory chip, cause that way, i can double the ammount of memory and bandwidth by adding a second memory stick. Otherwise, it'd be more expensive.
                I like this approach:
                If your budget is tight, than you can make a little compromise. Otherwise you can go all the way and get performance and size...
                Yes, there's some positive aspects to this. If it were dual channel, you'd get 2x4GB, meaning if you want more memory, you'd have to replace it completely (because you only ever get 2x8GB in really expensive pre-built configurations).
                However, on some newer notebooks it can be quite a PITA to actually access the dimm slots, it's more disassembly rather than maintenance flap... (Assuming there's really two dimm slots in the first place).
                And I'd really hope we see some systems with dual channel in pre-built configurations, because otherwise they'll look pretty bad in reviews. The cpu may no longer be a dog compared to intel chips, but it still cannot win against intel KBL-R chips there. And the graphics part presumably really still needs dual channel to actually shine and outclass the intel chips (at least if the latter have dual channel memory)...

Comment

I look forward to Raven Ridge APU's with 8cores 16threads. I think that is the plan for Raven Ridge 2, hopefully it will work in AM4 motherboard so I can use my existing setup.

Comment

I'm definitely buying a Raven Ridge based convertible, but I'm not a fan of X360, I think this keyboard has to feel strange in the tablet mode.

Comment

I wish this was available 1.5 years ago. Now I have a toshiba portege z20t. A great convertible with awesome battery life but had to support intel ...

Comment

Working...
                      X