More AMDGPU DC + RadeonSI/RADV vs. NVIDIA Linux OpenGL+Vulkan Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post

Skimming the article I missed that one. Perhaps having brought everything to Linux their next step is Vulkan support?
    they would have to port it to source2 engine which has a vulkan renderer for both Windows and Linux. I didn't know that valve was about to release this update..

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post

they would have to port it to source2 engine which has a vulkan renderer for both Windows and Linux. I didn't know that valve was about to release this update..
      It's been mentioned publicly elsewhere that Source 2 for CS:GO is slated for 2017, such as https://pvplive.com/c/csgos-next-ope...e-release-date
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Would it be fare to say that the AMD drivers are roughly on-par with their nVidia counterparts now? When it comes to FPS in games, ignoring all the DC etc. features shortcoming

Comment

Originally posted by Kendji View Post
          Would it be fare to say that the AMD drivers are roughly on-par with their nVidia counterparts now? When it comes to FPS in games, ignoring all the DC etc. features shortcoming
          AMD has fallen behind in vulkan performance in linux which nobody saw coming. Even amdgpu pro while faster than radv is not upto snuff compared to nvidia's vulkan driver.

AMD is doing great in opengl open source performance now. Massive kudos to them for that work.

Comment

Michael
            Something is wrong with unigine-superposition profile
            Please look at my results:
            OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

extreme is less demand than medium
            PS. this is not included in description but this is rx470

Comment

I assume the missing Vega benchmarks are because DoW3 doesn't work with Vega GPUs under Vulkan? If so, that's a shame.

Michael do you know if you'll be getting sent a Radeon RX Vega 64 Liquid card to test with soon? They've just became available recently on the Australian market (unfortunately just as my gaming motherboard died). It was always a shame there have never been Fury X benchmarks (which is what I'm mainly interested in since i own two of them), but at least the Radeon RX Vega 64 Liquid looks to be the closest thing to its successor. It's the only one I'd consider upgrading to.

Comment

Originally posted by boltronics View Post
                I assume the missing Vega benchmarks are because DoW3 doesn't work with Vega GPUs under Vulkan? If so, that's a shame.

Michael do you know if you'll be getting sent a Radeon RX Vega 64 Liquid card to test with soon? They've just became available recently on the Australian market (unfortunately just as my gaming motherboard died). It was always a shame there have never been Fury X benchmarks (which is what I'm mainly interested in since i own two of them), but at least the Radeon RX Vega 64 Liquid looks to be the closest thing to its successor. It's the only one I'd consider upgrading to.
                There were DoW3 stability issues as noted in the article last week.

AMD has not provided any word of a RX Vega 64 Liquid being sent out for testing, so likely is not on their plans, but would be happily surprised though not holding my breath considering how challenging it was just to get my hands on the Vega 56 / Vega 64.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

AMD do have FP16 in their magic rabit hat, so perhaps we will see some games use that under Linux, in which case the VEGA64 should be able to get to 1080ti speeds. This could happen under windows first, time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                    AMD do have FP16 in their magic rabit hat, so perhaps we will see some games use that under Linux, in which case the VEGA64 should be able to get to 1080ti speeds. This could happen under windows first, time will tell.
                    Even without it, the raw power in Vega 64 matches a 1080 Ti. It simply isn't utilized to its full extend. We can only speculate about the reasons. Either, the hardware is bottlenecked somewhere other than the execution units such as the new infinity fabric, memory controller etc. which would mean that only a new GPU design could fix it or the driver is not (yet?) capable to feed all the execution units and keep them occupied. This would mean that future updates might improve things.

I guess, the safest bet is that it is a mixture of both. The fabric is pretty new and used within GPUs and Ryzen so it needs to scale to a bunch of use cases. The first iteration might not reach its full potential or it might be hard to optimize it for all use cases. Still, the Vega release with the unfinished drivers in the Frontier Edition appeared a bit rushed. Also, the weird bios situation with the power saving mode basically performing the same as the high performance mode seems odd. So more optimization might still be coming.

In conclusion: We don't know

Comment

You could argue the same point about Fury cards, however I will agree the situation is more severe with the Vega cards.

Comment

Working...
                      X