X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Veto View Post
    Please define what you call "true embedded stuff"? The article lists very valid embedded use cases (kiosks, slot machines, medical devices, industrial etc.), where it seems like a perfect match. In my vocabulary SoCs with sub 5W envelopes are for "mobile stuff"...
    That's a writing mistake on my part (remnants of sentences I rephrased). It was supposed to be a "what you think is embedded stuff".

Leave a comment:

• Veto
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    They say this is a sub-40w GPU, and go on talking of 4GB of RAM.
    Which does not really make me think it's really supposed to compete with true embedded stuff (that has whole-SoC power envelopes of like 5w), more with very small x86 stuff, that is still "embedded" in many products, although it's not the first thing most think about when they hear "embedded".
    Please define what you call "true embedded stuff"? The article lists very valid embedded use cases (kiosks, slot machines, medical devices, industrial etc.), where it seems like a perfect match. In my vocabulary SoCs with sub 5W envelopes are for "mobile stuff"...

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
    Is an MCM a MXM but with memory? I can't catch up. getting old.
    MCM is "placing multiple silicon dies inside the same physical chip" (also with images) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-chip_module

Which is probably interesting for OEMs that like asking semi-custom stuff, this is one of the areas AMD does sell decently in.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    Polaris isn't my first choice when it comes to embedded. Is there any other GPU for embedded that doesn't do tiled rendering?
    They say this is a sub-40w GPU, and go on talking of 4GB of RAM.
    Which does not really make me think it's really supposed to compete with true embedded stuff (that has whole-SoC power envelopes of like 5w), more with very small x86 stuff, that is still "embedded" in many products, although it's not the first thing most think about when they hear "embedded".

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Polaris isn't my first choice when it comes to embedded. Is there any other GPU for embedded that doesn't do tiled rendering?

Leave a comment:

• AndyChow
    replied
    There should be a survey, how many people actually believe in Atari.

Is an MCM a MXM but with memory? I can't catch up. getting old.

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    Atari are going to need to customize the MESA driver and squeeze all the power they can out of the GPU. At least it will be released well after AMD DC drivers are out so performance on their console might actually be quite good at 1080p. If they released it this year it would be a disaster, good thing they aren't...

Leave a comment:

• lostdistance
    replied
    AMD announced a Polaris based embedded GPU a year ago, the elusive E9260. That too was available in MXM and PCIe variants, but not MCM.

Leave a comment:

• Kendji
    replied
    HBN2?

Leave a comment:

• davidbepo
    replied
    Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post
    I wonder if this is what Atari plans on using, or if they're going for custom silicon.
    basically the same as rx 550

Leave a comment:

Working...
X