No announcement yet.

Polaris Goes Embedded With The E9170 GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polaris isn't my first choice when it comes to embedded. Is there any other GPU for embedded that doesn't do tiled rendering?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      Polaris isn't my first choice when it comes to embedded. Is there any other GPU for embedded that doesn't do tiled rendering?
      They say this is a sub-40w GPU, and go on talking of 4GB of RAM.
      Which does not really make me think it's really supposed to compete with true embedded stuff (that has whole-SoC power envelopes of like 5w), more with very small x86 stuff, that is still "embedded" in many products, although it's not the first thing most think about when they hear "embedded".

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
        Is an MCM a MXM but with memory? I can't catch up. getting old.
        MCM is "placing multiple silicon dies inside the same physical chip" (also with images) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-chip_module

Which is probably interesting for OEMs that like asking semi-custom stuff, this is one of the areas AMD does sell decently in.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          They say this is a sub-40w GPU, and go on talking of 4GB of RAM.
          Which does not really make me think it's really supposed to compete with true embedded stuff (that has whole-SoC power envelopes of like 5w), more with very small x86 stuff, that is still "embedded" in many products, although it's not the first thing most think about when they hear "embedded".
          Please define what you call "true embedded stuff"? The article lists very valid embedded use cases (kiosks, slot machines, medical devices, industrial etc.), where it seems like a perfect match. In my vocabulary SoCs with sub 5W envelopes are for "mobile stuff"...

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
            Please define what you call "true embedded stuff"? The article lists very valid embedded use cases (kiosks, slot machines, medical devices, industrial etc.), where it seems like a perfect match. In my vocabulary SoCs with sub 5W envelopes are for "mobile stuff"...
            That's a writing mistake on my part (remnants of sentences I rephrased). It was supposed to be a "what you think is embedded stuff".

Comment

Working...
            X