Radeon RX Vega OpenGL Linux Performance For September 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post

Q6600... I'm dying on the inside. Now, also on the outside... For real though, Ryzen 5 1600 overclocked would probably do pretty well for you.
    I'm leaning toward pairing my Vega56 with a R7 1700. I used to upgrade all the time but the q6600 has served me well! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by MagicMyth View Post

Heck even a Ryzen 3 1200 would probably slaughter it. Hats of to you though LeJimster for sticking with a quality CPU (not-sarcasm!)....... Aren't all the Core4Quad mobos limited to PCIE 1.1? I know there was compatibility issues with PCIE 2.1 GPUs which could only be fixed on some motherboard with bios fixes (ran into the issue on one of my systems).....
      Yeah, ive been really, really patient lol. Had no money for awhile so had to go without and then I waited so long I wanted a Vega+Ryzen system lol.

Im using a X38 Asus P5E with a Maximus rampage? bios. Lol. Kept it @ 3.2Ghz for nearly a decade. Ugh, makes me feel ancient the more I think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
        The pro driver seems to exist also largely because of the effort that goes into the windows drivers..
        Plus the vulkan driver being developed there will eventually make it's way into MESA.
        Nope, their driver is going to be separate from Mesa even after it's open sourced. No doubt so they can keep their current code and share it with Windows rather than porting it to work with the Mesa/OSS stack.

Assuming it ever does get released, that is. 19 months and counting...

Comment

Originally posted by randomsalad View Post

What kind of artifacts would that be? I can verify that, at the very least, my RX Vega 64 doesn't appear to produce any artifacts (that I'm aware of) on the game menu screen.
          only the deus ex logo gets artifacts, this happens elsewhere but it's an easy test..

There are also a number of other artifacts.

Currently:
          4K res.
          Vega 64
          Ryzen 1700
          ubuntu 17.10
          Wayland and X does it.

oleyska@oleUbuntu:~$ glxinfo | grep render
          direct rendering: Yes
          GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent, GLX_MESA_query_renderer,
          GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent, GLX_MESA_query_renderer,
          Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
          OpenGL renderer string: AMD VEGA10 (DRM 3.20.0 / 4.13.0-rc5-phx-amdgpudc, LLVM 5.0.0)
          GL_ARB_compute_variable_group_size, GL_ARB_conditional_render_inverted,
          GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_depth_clamp, GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil,
          GL_ARB_conditional_render_inverted, GL_ARB_conservative_depth,
          GL_NV_blend_square, GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_depth_clamp,
          GL_OES_element_index_uint, GL_OES_fbo_render_mipmap,
          oleyska@oleUbuntu:~$ uname -r
          4.13.0-rc5-phx-amdgpudc

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Nope, their driver is going to be separate from Mesa even after it's open sourced. No doubt so they can keep their current code and share it with Windows rather than porting it to work with the Mesa/OSS stack.
            This will be very sad. So we will never get AMD's official vulkan driver and their now fast openGL driver together in MESA?
            RadV is improving but the greatest potential would lie in the driver that AMD developers themselves are working on, that's one of the reasons the free openGL driver got so good. So if what you say is true. that would really really suck. I had been looking forward to the day when the fragmentation of AMD graphics software on Linux goes away.

By fragmentation I mean..
            -the best vulkan driver being in the proprietary package, while the best openGL driver is in MESA
            -users of CI and SI hardware still being on the old radeon kernel driver and missing out on Vulkan plus newer features which are developed for the newer amdgpu kernel driver

We need to get to a place (like Windows has) where users of AMD hardware do not have to pick and swap different driver components (either userspace or kernel) for different workloads.

Comment

This will be very sad. So we will never get AMD's official vulkan driver and their now fast openGL driver together in MESA?
              RadV is improving but the greatest potential would lie in the driver that AMD developers themselves are working on, that's one of the reasons the free openGL driver got so good. So if what you say is true. that would really really suck. I had been looking forward to the day when the fragmentation of AMD graphics software on Linux goes away.

By fragmentation I mean..
              -the best vulkan driver being in the proprietary package, while the best openGL driver is in MESA
              I don't think this will be an issue. It is only matter of packaging the best drivers to distributions. Separating radv to its own package and providing AMD's Vulkan driver on its on package is what I believe most distributions end up doing, so you can install either of them easily while using Mesa for OpenGL. I don't know if Vulkan drivers will be included in default installations at all, but if they are then distributions can choose to provide AMD's driver by default together with Mesa OpenGL. No issue here.

Comment

and people who want AMD's official Vulkan driver...
                That's not a "target market" thing though, just a temporary state while we finish reworking it to allow open sourcing. We can't push kernel features upstream if they are only used by closed source userspace.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post

I'm leaning toward pairing my Vega56 with a R7 1700. I used to upgrade all the time but the q6600 has served me well! Lol
                  I have a GTX 1080 Ti and a Ryzen 7 1700. I'd say most people can stick with the Ryzen 5 1600 and save the money... It is better, but it isn't 50% better. Jumping from six to eight cores for 50% more money isn't exactly the greatest idea unless you really just want the best.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                    We all know that you have latest and greatest hardware like 4k monitors. Majority of people do not waste money to 4k gaming, so this article is not useful.
                    Most video cards absolutely crush games at 1920x1080 so run whatever you want.

The only way to see these high-end cards under stress is to run them at Ultra 4K.

And who cares about the majority of people anyway? We are, or some of us are, Linux gamers. What kind of majority is that?

As for monitor use, I don't have data except myself. I have ONE 1920x1080 monitor left at home. It's on my server. Everything else is 2560x1440, 2560x1600 or 3840x2160. Even my laptops are 4K.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post

I have a GTX 1080 Ti and a Ryzen 7 1700. I'd say most people can stick with the Ryzen 5 1600 and save the money... It is better, but it isn't 50% better. Jumping from six to eight cores for 50% more money isn't exactly the greatest idea unless you really just want the best.
                      I was thinking the extra threads might come in handy when it comes to compiling stuff. The prices seem to be slowly dropping aswell. Will have to see. Maybe the 1600 is better value.

Comment

Working...
                      X