Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon RX Vega On Linux: High-Performance GPUs & Open-Source No Longer An Oxymoron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bridgman agd5f, why is the performance of the Vulkan is now very low ?

Comment

@Shevchen I'm more interested in using less power, I'm not an expert but I saw on the same article on Gamer Nexus that undervolting, the power usage increases... Is it normal because of the frequency?

Comment

The Radeon RX Vega 64 yielded an AC system power draw on average of 322 Watts with a peak of 437 Watts. The Radeon RX Vega yielded an average power draw of 256~270 Watts with a peak of 323~349 Watts.

For our system setup, the Radeon RX Vega 64 had an average temp of 75°C with a peak of 90°C while the Radeon RX Vega 56 had an average temp of 71°C with a peak of 87°C.
        That's just crazy. I hope AMD will reign in power consumption in their next generation Navi cards. Vega didn't do a good job at that.

I might get Vega 56 some time in the future, but I worry my PC will turn into a frying pan.

Comment

So, SR-IOV.. Does Vega 56/64 have it available? :P

Comment

Michael
            You talk about the 4.14 kernel in the article, why not include it in the tests?
            You should be able to run the tests with this kernel: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...aging-drm-next

Comment

Originally posted by fhuberts View Post
              Michael
              You talk about the 4.14 kernel in the article, why not include it in the tests?
              You should be able to run the tests with this kernel: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...aging-drm-next
              Because it's still WIP and there is only so much time in a day and before embargos expire... Later in the week in a separate article will be some tests.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by donbastiano View Post
                @Shevchen I'm more interested in using less power, I'm not an expert but I saw on the same article on Gamer Nexus that undervolting, the power usage increases... Is it normal because of the frequency?
                If you have a fixed power target with default voltages, your frequency may end up lower compared to self-optimized values. That is the silicon lottery you play with, but as AMD seems to have set rather conservative values, there is a lot of headroom to play with.

In the end, if you set your power target to 300 W, thats your power target. If you want to end up using only 250W, you decrease your voltage until you hit that desired wattage and then up the frequencies until it becomes unstable.

Comment

I'm a little surprised about that good performance under linux. I think from now we shouldn't say "AMD Linux performance is worser then Nvidia Linux performance" anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Karbowiak View Post
                    So, SR-IOV.. Does Vega 56/64 have it available? :P
                    I've heard that unfortunately it will be available only in pro cards. But may be I missed some update on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Because it's still WIP and there is only so much time in a day and before embargos expire... Later in the week in a separate article will be some tests.
                      Thanks! cool.

Comment

Working...
                      X