Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He has RX 480, 580, GTX 1070, 1080 +

Comment

Thank you for this guide, this is something I really appreciate! It is easy to forget some details and then wondering what's missing if you try it on your own...

Comment

The part of the article that got my interest is that the AMD DC code is integrated into the AMDGPU-PRO driver by using a DKMS module.

With all the fuss going on whether or not DC will get accepted into the mainline Linux kernel, I wonder what's stopping the AMDGPU (non-pro) devs from incorporating the DC code by using their own DKMS module. Wouldn't that work, as it obviously works for the AMDGPU-PRO driver?

Comment

As i got a RX 550 recently i tested the AMD kernel git too, but HDMI sound does not work. Would be good of you can test HDMI sound.
          Last edited by Kano; 13 August 2017, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
            Thanks for the info Michael - i am sure that in my near future this could be very handy.

I am sure you will be doing it, idle power consumption and desktop usage power consumption stats would be awesome.

also, if you can, some noise level tests would be awesome!
            Unfortunately, have no hardware (and thus no PTS integration) for proper noise testing.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I have dificulties with a Radeon RX 560 4gb and amdgpu-pro from AMD. I'm stuck in Ubuntu 16.02 and scared to update because they said It will brake the driver. I was a Debian user for a long time (since potato) and I don't like Ubuntu too much. The internet seems empty of any tutorial on how to setup this Radeon séries 5xx cards. If someone post any information about how to setup this new generation of Radeon cards will be much apreciated.

Comment

AMD will not be releasing tomorrow new Pro drivers ?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  As i got a RX 550 recently i tested the AMD kernel git too, but HDMI sound does not work. Would be good of you can test HDMI sound.
                  You need to add "DC" (formerly "display core" and DAL, but I am not sure how it's called nowadays) to your kernel to have working HDMI sound with one of these cards. With Vega, you need the same "DC" component to have a working video output at all (though you can use it headless or trough PRIME in theory).

Try the kernel Michael linked to, it should solve your HDMI audio problems.

At this point, getting DC accepted into the mainline kernel is the only big remaining issue for Vega GPUs and the open source drivers. But it's not like it cannot be made to work with a bit of tinkering (compiling your own kernel). An alternative is to use the AMDGPU-PRO driver, which will compile it in for you.

Comment

If only AMD had something like CUDA to execute on all that compute power. Things like converting video to hevc and linux video editting are so much faster on Nvidia cards.

**not trolling**

Comment

Originally posted by thelongdivider View Post
                      If only AMD had something like CUDA to execute on all that compute power. Things like converting video to hevc and linux video editting are so much faster on Nvidia cards.

**not trolling**
                      Not trolling but requesting a proprietary API by nVidia to be implemented instead of pushing software makers to drop CUDA and going for open computing standards

Comment

Working...
                      X