Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Setup Your Linux System For The Radeon RX Vega

Phoronix: How To Setup Your Linux System For The Radeon RX Vega

Yesterday the embargo expired on showing you the Radeon RX Vega hardware, both the Vega 56 and Vega 64. While the embargo for sharing reviews and performance benchmarks for the Radeon RX Vega doesn't expire until tomorrow (Monday) when the hardware will become available, today I am providing a brief how-to guide for setting up both drivers (AMDGPU+RadeonSI and AMDGPU-PRO) for the RX Vega 56 / 64. So if you are hoping to buy a Radeon RX Vega tomorrow when they become available, this is what you can do today for getting your system(s) ready.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great summary, thanks. Could be me on the move up from 960 once benchmarks and mainlained.

Comment

Thanks for the info Michael - i am sure that in my near future this could be very handy.

I am sure you will be doing it, idle power consumption and desktop usage power consumption stats would be awesome.

also, if you can, some noise level tests would be awesome!

Comment

Great guide, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          Padoka ppa does update once or twice per month randomly. Oibaf does better job by updating his ppa every day.
          That's because Oibaf doesn't provide llvm from git.

Comment

It would be sweet if AMD themselves would set up a PPA so users can track their state of the art, and give them timely/detailed feedback.

Until then, kudos to Michael for sharing his build and instructions. I bet that lands a few extra Vega sales.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
              It would be sweet if AMD themselves would set up a PPA so users can track their state of the art, and give them timely/detailed feedback.

Until then, kudos to Michael for sharing his build and instructions. I bet that lands a few extra Vega sales.
              I'd prefer a Debian repo from AMD. But yeah, good idea. They can provide repos for different distors.

Comment

Hey Michael. You have so many GPUs, have you ever tried mining crypto currencies? I'm building a house and I wonder whether I should put some money into solar panels to get some free power for the house and eventually mining.

Comment

Yeah!
                  Thanks for the great guide!

Comment

Originally posted by killyou View Post
                    Hey Michael. You have so many GPUs, have you ever tried mining crypto currencies? I'm building a house and I wonder whether I should put some money into solar panels to get some free power for the house and eventually mining.
                    Having many GPUs is not enough, you need many GPUs that can mine efficiently. That's something Michael doesn't have. It's not like he has 50 RX 480s for benchmarking stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X