The Radeon RX Vega Makes A Nod To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
    Just like anything from AMD. Intel + nVidia is the only way to go if you are sane and not a deluded fanboi.
    That, that right there almost made me spill my tea on this nice sunday afternoon. Good job, sir, good job.

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
      That, that right there almost made me spill my tea on this nice sunday afternoon. Good job, sir, good job.
      No worries good sir, for emergency situations like this, I always have a fresh fallback tea from the mesa git repository. *adjusts monocle* I suggest not listening to those backwater people, as you may never know if their ill thoughts are contagious. I wish you a nice remaining sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post

Yeah, I know that. You're correct. But it should just say "GNU/Linux", or "Linux", and not have to.

This world of ours where if it's obvious and you're right, you still get sued, spend millions on lawyers, and even if you win, you lose... It should, it IS, obvious that them saying it works on Linux is not them pretending to own the name, nor pretending the name isn't owned. It just spoils the victory to see that "r" there.

Anyway, it's still cool to see the Linux name on something that isn't some cheap bootleg device from Shenzhen.
        It's because of asshats that tried to steal the Linux name back in the day for various shady business that Linus ultimately was forced to register the trademark.

Comment

The 295W TDP has me a little worried. I made myself a portable mini-ITX build for gaming a few months ago, with an intel i7 7700K (sorry AMD, I love you, but for a machine almost exclusively meant for gaming, 7700K is still better). I currently have an R9 Nano in it. I got a case compatible with a full-sized graphics card, because I was thinking of upgrading to Vega when it comes out.

The details weren't known back then, so I was thinking to myself, newer generation process must be more power efficient than old generation, so Vega should be more power efficient than Fiji, so I got a 500W PSU, thinking it would be enough for either. I hope that it can handle Vega. I don't have mechanical HDDs or any other power-hungry parts. Some full-system power draw benchmarks would be useful, before I actually go buy it. I'll keep an eye on the Windows gaming benchmarking websites.

I am still thinking that, hopefully, worst case scenario, the PSU would only not be able to handle when both CPU and GPU are maxed (ie prime95 + furmark, or something like that). For gaming it should be fine, as games don't max out the CPU.

Before anyone tells me to buy NVIDIA: I am stuck with AMD, because I have a FreeSync monitor, and I would hate to lose the adaptive refresh rate feature. Until NVIDIA implements FreeSync support, I am not considering their cards.

Comment

Mark my words: 1070 shits on this card. Dead on arrival should be the name of this card. Radeon DEA. Just like anything from AMD. Intel + nVidia is the only way to go if you are sane and not a deluded fanboi.
            Instead of looking into a crystal ball i will wait for the benchmarks.
            I hope that the RX Vega 56 (or what it will be called) will be a good card but as a linux user there are more reasons to buy an AMD card then being a deluded fanboi.
            No one have ever called me sane but i will stop feeding the troll now.

Comment

Mark my words: 1070 shits on this card. Dead on arrival should be the name of this card. Radeon DEA. Just like anything from AMD. Intel + nVidia is the only way to go if you are sane and not a deluded fanboi.
              So you say you are not a fanboy? Sure? Only a bit maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by kon14 View Post
                we might as well consider how numbers are techndcally not even part of the alphabet anyway...
                alphabetical order is one of names of lexicographical order. but if you insist that it can't be alphabetical order because of forbidden characters, then it was not an alphabetical order

Comment

Mark my words
                  words of windiot do not mean much

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    alphabetical order is one of names of lexicographical order. but if you insist that it can't be alphabetical order because of forbidden characters, then it was not an alphabetical order

While alphabetical order is not the correct term to use, I believe all of us understood what you and Alliancemd meant by it.
                    That is exactly why I insisted in whining about it like this. We all got what Alliancemd meant to say, there's no reason to focus on such petty things.

If AMD were to sort it like we'd sort any ascii character based text in a computer program we'd most likely get Linux, Windows10 and then Windows7, but that's not the case cause they used natural sorting which makes total sense for a ploduct targeted at humans. It's not something you'd just grep and display through ls, therefore why not sort like a human would?

Comment

Working...
                    X