• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makes sense. Linux was there first
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
      Wow, that's a beaty. And, they put Linux on the first place in the list of compatible operating systems.

Unfortunately, such beauty doesn't cope well with compactness. Michael, would you do some tests of external GPU enclosures? I'm very curious about compatibility with Linux and performance of AMD GPUs in an external enclosure.
      RX Vega fits inside Akitio node: https://www.akitio.com/expansion/node
      Should also fit inside Razer core. It does not fit inside some of the smaller cases like Akitio thunder, but neither do most other cards.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
        Wow, that's a beaty. And, they put Linux on the first place in the list of compatible operating systems.

Unfortunately, such beauty doesn't cope well with compactness. Michael, would you do some tests of external GPU enclosures? I'm very curious about compatibility with Linux and performance of AMD GPUs in an external enclosure.
        I have no GPU enclosures and no manufacturers have offered any GPU enclosures for review.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Makes sense. Linux was there first
          Slackware on 22 HD diskettes FTW!

Comment

Why is there an "R" next to the Linux name? It should have been printed clean from those types of legal games.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
              Why is there an "R" next to the Linux name? It should have been printed clean from those types of legal games.
              I believe using the (R) is a legal requirement, and somewhere on the box there may be more words to the effect that "Linux is the registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the US and other countries".

The Linux Foundation protects the public and Linux users from unauthorized and confusing uses of the trademark.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by tiwake View Post

To flourish a product is to show confidence in how well it will work. One of my engineering classes went over how often well designed products don't sell because it did not look "presentable", in spite of meeting or exceeding competition and advertised capabilities. Having been a machinist a lot of years, I personally tend to spend a little more effort in cleaning up and making something look nice with the more time I spend making it. I suspect with AMD it is the same thing: Years of research and development to finally come to the conclusion of vega and zen. How can they not add a little frosting for the packaging?

I hope to see FAHBench in the coming lineup of tests... with ROCm not requiring X, I might put one in the server I'll eventually get around to building, for science.
                I understand the marketing aspect behind it, but I have to say, that my Ryzen came into a well presented full paper and only a little bit plastic box. Very professional and pretty. I don't think it matters on what material you use per se, you can do a lot already by choosing the right colours and logos. That was well done with Ryzen. All this extra stuff with TR and Vega is just to throw away

Comment

Originally posted by EarthMind View Post

I understand the marketing aspect behind it, but I have to say, that my Ryzen came into a well presented full paper and only a little bit plastic box. Very professional and pretty. I don't think it matters on what material you use per se, you can do a lot already by choosing the right colours and logos. That was well done with Ryzen. All this extra stuff with TR and Vega is just to throw away
                  The consumer box is different from the press-box Michael got. Its written in the article and it should be obvious, that with all the extra stuff (like the Vega glass cube) that this is not the consumer-box. It is aimed at youtubers/reviewers who will present the whole thing. Its would be bad if you just throw the card inside a cardboard box with some tape and be done with it. Turn the thought around: If you are a big reviewer, like Linus Tech Tips or similar and you get a blank box with a blank card with some paper-padding - wouldn't it look ultra-cheap in terms of "presentation".

I'd love to have that kind of box tbh - as I tend to store boxes which still have guarantee on their products on shelves I can see. But thats a subjective point...

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
                    Mark my words: 1070 shits on this card. Dead on arrival should be the name of this card. Radeon DEA. Just like anything from AMD. Intel + nVidia is the only way to go if you are sane and not a deluded fanboi.
                    So much wisdom in just one post... Man please doublecheck your house locks at night cause posts like this one is likely to drive you to your deathbed.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I believe using the (R) is a legal requirement, and somewhere on the box there may be more words to the effect that "Linux is the registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the US and other countries".

https://lmi.linuxfoundation.org/prog...rk/attribution
                      Yeah, I know that. You're correct. But it should just say "GNU/Linux", or "Linux", and not have to.

This world of ours where if it's obvious and you're right, you still get sued, spend millions on lawyers, and even if you win, you lose... It should, it IS, obvious that them saying it works on Linux is not them pretending to own the name, nor pretending the name isn't owned. It just spoils the victory to see that "r" there.

Anyway, it's still cool to see the Linux name on something that isn't some cheap bootleg device from Shenzhen.

Comment

Working...
                      X