Radeon Vega Pro Introduces A "AMD Secure Processor"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Yeah, because blocking BIOS modification doesn't also block malware from injecting itself in there.
    Really, I'd really like firmwares get some rounds of hardening against bullshit.
    In my whole career, the only corrupted graphics card BIOS I've ever seen was one I screwed by accident myself with a BIO editor. This is bullshit about how there is this slight possibility that no one has ever experienced, and that's the reason we need this bullshit forced on us.

In the past you called me a communist, now's my chance to call you one, commy.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I don't think anyone is going to steal a movie from GPU memory. There would be plenty of easier ways to steal it.
      The rules require to create a "secure" locked down channel inside the PC.

The fact that it is ultimately pointless because HDCP is a fat joke and will remain a fat joke in the future is irrelevant, media industry wants to believe their content is safe, and hardware manufacturers have to comply.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

And this business model only works if the Netflix Trojan horse inside of the hardware has a big market share.
        if the market share is low for such hardware Netflix would go into bankruptcy with this kind of product politics.
        in the end corporatism(fascists) build up a cartel monopole/Duopole/oligopoly by cooperate with other corporatism fascists
        to enslave the population into their digital prison. one thing is for sure this criminals will in the end hang on the next tree by the people.
        Netflix is just the middleman, just like AMD. It works because Hollywood requires it and most consumers don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          In my whole career, the only corrupted graphics card BIOS I've ever seen was one I screwed by accident myself with a BIO editor. This is bullshit about how there is this slight possibility that no one has ever experienced, and that's the reason we need this bullshit forced on us.
          Such malware is mid/high end stuff, it is used for stealing stuff or cracking systems, making money, not wreaking havok. GPUs have DMA, remember? https://www.itnews.com.au/news/resea...pherals-358265

Also, your approach to security is very outdated in this decade.

In the past you called me a communist, now's my chance to call you one, commy.
          Helping the enemy by lowering security is un-american, citizen. Freedom must be protected.

Comment

Originally posted by jstefanop View Post
            Can you confirm this on die security is verifying the BIOS, and any changes to it (PP Table parameters for example) will cause Vega not to boot?
            Will ask. I know that on previous generations there were some locked and some unlocked sections of the BIOS, where modifying a locked section would fail boot. I didn't think we used the security processor for that, and I'm not at all sure we do today either.

The primary purpose of security hardware is to validate all the code used for boot-up and allow certain operations (like playing protected content) only if everything checks out.
            Last edited by bridgman; 01 August 2017, 04:53 AM.
            Test signature

Comment

Such malware is mid/high end stuff, it is used for stealing stuff or cracking systems, making money, not wreaking havok. GPUs have DMA, remember? https://www.itnews.com.au/news/resea...pherals-358265

Also, your approach to security is very outdated in this decade.

Helping the enemy by lowering security is un-american, citizen. Freedom must be protected.
              So you think that imagining bullshit that you project onto another is American? Makes sense in a fucked up way.

Comment

Yeah, because blocking BIOS modification doesn't also block malware from injecting itself in there.
                Really, I'd really like firmwares get some rounds of hardening against bullshit, overclocking can go to hell, it's little more than a game for kiddies nowadays anyway. True OC died decades ago.
                Ok buddy, just because you think BIOS mods are for kiddies does not mean thats how things run in the real world. The systems we build for machine learning have a profound impact because we can change the BIOS to the specific needs of our systems. Rack power envelopes, heat output, and huge increase in algorithm outputs are all controlled by BIOS changes.

Just because you use your GPU to play around does not mean the rest of the world does not depend on things like this. We were planning on upgrading our systems to vega, and not being able to modify the BIOS for our systems would be a deal breaker for us.

Comment

If you could make similar changes at driver or config file level would that be sufficient ?
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    ... believe me in the end you will support a FLOSS edition without closed source security engine and without closed source Firmware. you just need some more time to get the point.

Oh I get the point and always did... the challenge is (a) convincing a lot of *other* people to get the point and (b) coming up with ways to implement a fully open solution without putting the security features we need for other large markets at risk.
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by jstefanop View Post
                      Ok buddy, just because you think BIOS mods are for kiddies does not mean thats how things run in the real world. The systems we build for machine learning have a profound impact because we can change the BIOS to the specific needs of our systems. Rack power envelopes, heat output, and huge increase in algorithm outputs are all controlled by BIOS changes.
                      Stop playing broke and sign up an NDA or whatever like all other OEMs do to get the rights and tools to make their own BIOS.

Because that's what companies do. Modding BIOS is for kiddies and people that repurpose gaming cards in their servers because they are broke.
                      Last edited by starshipeleven; 02 August 2017, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X