Radeon RX Vega 56 & 64 Launch: $399+, Available 14 August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    As usual, it's better to wait a bit and let things settle down first.
    is this still a good advice since cryptomining? an nvidia 10606g is currently cheaper then a 480x8g and 1070 cheaper than. 580x8g.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

I'm not optimistic DC will be ready in 4 months anyway...
      I meant, 4 months after 18.04 is out...

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        i'm pretty sure they do release hardware enablements
        Originally posted by Hibbelharry
        I don't know how exactly suse handles kernel updates, but Ubuntu gets those with their HWE Stacks. If AMD fails the finish line for 3.14, you will still get support after a while via HWE Stack.
        If they do, great.
        But the shear scale of the work and its evident difficulty makes it seem like too much effort to backport.
        It's not really comparable with enabling AMD polaris for Leap 42.3 on the 4.4.x kernel...

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post

If they do, great.
          But the shear scale of the work and its evident difficulty makes it seem like too much effort to backport.
          It's not really comparable with enabling AMD polaris for Leap 42.3 on the 4.4.x kernel...
          What do you mean "too much effort"? HWE = HardWare Enablement, adding support for newer hardware is the whole reason these exist. See: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

Keep in mind that in order to offer stability these are still not necessarily the latest releases and are still spaced 4 months apart. But they're way better than being stuck for 2 years with the same kernel and X.

Comment

Working...
          X