15-Way OpenCL Comparison With NVIDIA On Linux, ROCm 1.6 For Radeon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15-Way OpenCL Comparison With NVIDIA On Linux, ROCm 1.6 For Radeon

Phoronix: 15-Way OpenCL Comparison With NVIDIA On Linux, ROCm 1.6 For Radeon

Given the recent release of ROCm 1.6 and this being the OpenCL stack providing the exclusive compute support for Vega GPUs and newer, I ran some benchmarks of ROCm 1.6 on the various supported Radeon GPUs and compared them to different GeForce graphics cards atop NVIDIA's latest Linux driver release.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there a way to tell which version of OpenCL was used for which test?
    Did all tests use OpenCL 2.0 for AMD? Was Nvidia limited to OpenCL 1.2 in all tests (I know there's OpenCL 2.0 support in beta form, but Idk anything about its state)?
    Last edited by bug77; 10 July 2017, 02:06 PM. Reason: Fixed OpenCL version reference

Comment

I get ~25 MH/s with ROCm and my Fury. Never got it to work with AMDGPU-PRO, always run into https://github.com/Genoil/cpp-ethereum/issues/216 . (And a bit higher in Windows still...) You should use the https://github.com/genoil/cpp-ethereum "Genoil" version of Ethminer, that's the one that currently maintained I think.

The 1070 and 1080 differ in memory type, 1080 has GDDR5X. That's supposedly bad for Eth mining and I guess Luxmark too, so nothing funky going on there.

Comment

I guess you are using https://launchpad.net/~ethereum/+arc...buntu/ethereum ?

Comment

bug77 OpenCL@ROCm is also limited to version 1.2 currently.

Michael "with the Radeon RX 550, it was falling back to using LLVMpipe, so this newer Polaris card doesn't appear to be supported yet by ROCm yet the RX 560 and RX 580 had worked fine."

RX 550 is Lexa/Polaris 12, which is indeed a new chip. 560 and 580 are Baffin/Polaris 11 and Ellesmere/Polaris 10 which have been around for a year.

Comment

Considering they only started optimising ROCm, that's not bad at all

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
              bug77 OpenCL@ROCm is also limited to version 1.2 currently.
              Hm, on the first page it says "OpenCL 2.0 AMD-APP (2442.0)" which makes it even more confusing.

Comment

My recollection was that it supported 2.0 kernel language but ~1.2 runtime features. Will try to confirm.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  My recollection was that it supported 2.0 kernel language but ~1.2 runtime features. Will try to confirm.
                  We still wouldn't know which test ran which version...

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
                    bug77
                    RX 550 is Lexa/Polaris 12, which is indeed a new chip. 560 and 580 are Baffin/Polaris 11 and Ellesmere/Polaris 10 which have been around for a year.
                    Does anybody know if the issue has been fixed yet? There has been at least one patch release (1.6.148) since the original tests. Looking for the cheapest ROCm future-proof cards to do CI testing on and the 550 seems to be about ideal.

Comment

Working...
                    X