Intel Core i7 7740X Benchmarks On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lvlark View Post
    Because the 7700k doesn't work on X299 chipset?
    Thing is, Kaby Lake X still only has access to dual-channel memory and 16 PCIe lanes. Not entirely sure how Intel handles ECC these days, but other than (maybe) that, the platform doesn't really seem to offer any advantage over the mainstream platform if you go with Kaby Lake X - except that you pay like twice as much for the mainboard and cannot even use the integrated GPU.

and you can't afford more cores by Intel you can build your PC in installments and start with the 7740X moving your way up
    Well, you can get a 7800X for 40€ (~11%) more than the 7740X, so even that doesn't really make any sense.

Comment

Some claim the purpose of these Kaby-Lake-X CPUs are overclocking, but we'll have to see about that. Personally I think these quad cores on LGA2066 is a waste of time, especially since Skylake-X have better IPC and better boost, and the next step up is just a few dollars away.

No one is buying these to upgrade later, that's a waste of money.

Comment

Wake me up when Intel and AMD move to 7nm.

Comment

i7-7700k > i7-7740x
          21w lower tdp, integrated graphics, cheaper motherboards...
          i7-7740x the most stupid processor ever

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
            i7-7700k > i7-7740x
            21w lower tdp, integrated graphics, cheaper motherboards...
            i7-7740x the most stupid processor ever
            Maybe its only purpose is to boost sales of the i7-7700k...

Comment

I'm more interested in the 6 core/12HT i7-7800X which has AVX512 and is only about 50 USD more. The AVX512 though in the 7800X is a bit of a hack. It's like AVX in AMD processors (including Ryzen). It emulates AVX512 by doing two 256-operations (on two ports). But at least it supporters the instructions set and there are many more useful instructions in AVX512 even if needs two 256 units to do a 512-bit operations.

If you want two 512-bit operations you need a i9 such as the 7900X. As far as I understand it has a dedicated AVX512 unit in addition to the two 256 wide units in the 7800X. I don't know what effect this has using one dedicated 512-bit unit and two 256-units to get two AVX512 operations at once.

Comment

The article states that an 1800x costs $110 more, but it omits the very important factor that you can drop that 1800x into a $85 B350 motherboard, while the 7740x requires a x299 motherboard which starts at around $250. That more than wipes out the difference in CPU cost.

This also ignores the fact that the successor to the AMD chip will likely work in the same motherboard, while Intel's next generation will likely require a new motherboard purchase.

Comment

Working...
                X