15-Way NVIDIA/AMD OpenCL GPU Linux Benchmarks Of Ethereum Ethminer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15-Way NVIDIA/AMD OpenCL GPU Linux Benchmarks Of Ethereum Ethminer

Phoronix: 15-Way NVIDIA/AMD OpenCL GPU Linux Benchmarks Of Ethereum Ethminer

With the Ethereum cryptocurrency generating lots of buzz recently due to its rising valuation and being excellent for mining on GPUs, here are some Ubuntu Linux benchmarks when testing many different GeForce and Radeon graphics cards with the Ethminer OpenCL support, including performance-per-dollar and performance-per-Watt metrics.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This mining craze happened last time I tried to get a new graphics card after my old card died and because of the shortages I was without my PC for 2-3 weeks. I just hope the latest craze has run it's course by the time Vega is released. We don't need inflated prices in a market that is already taking us for a ride with nvidia gpu's.

Comment

Professional miners uses Polaris graphics cards with Samsung GDDR5 memories, underclock the core frequency and overclock the memory frequency to get the maximum performance for watt.

Comment

Is Ethereum new? Because all of the sudden RX 560s-580s are getting sold out everywhere with inflated prices, and AMD's stocks are shooting up as a result (which is weird, considering their stocks went down when Ryzen was released).

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Is Ethereum new? Because all of the sudden RX 560s-580s are getting sold out everywhere with inflated prices, and AMD's stocks are shooting up as a result (which is weird, considering their stocks went down when Ryzen was released).
          Hungry miners now even buy GTX 1060 or GTX 1050 Ti with or w/o Samsung GDDR5 memories.

Comment

Very new compared to Bitcoin. Ethereum was released July '15 (vs. Bitcoin Jan '09). There are a lot of little differences but the biggest ones are 1) "smart contracts" as part of the protocol which make fraud much more difficult (in theory at least) and 2) major backing from the public and private sector via Enterprise Etherium Alliance (EntEthAlliance.org). When you have Bancor, CreditSuisse, J.P. Morgan, National Bank of Canada, Rabobank, Santander, UBS, etc behind your crypto currency it's a safer bet than bitcoin and other crypto-currencies that it will become standardized and will probably be less volatile (doesn't mean that it's the right bet... just the odds are in its favor).
            The Enterprise Ethereum Alliance connects Fortune 500 enterprises, startups, academics, and technology vendors with Ethereum subject matter experts.

Comment

This is why Ethereum is spiking Vladimir Putin Is Getting Interested in Bitcoin's Biggest Rival

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...beyond-oil-gas

Comment

I joined a mining group back in 2009 and had earned slightly more than 27 bitcoins, They were cheap back then. The person who started the mining op suddenly disappeared along with everyone's coins. Ever since then I have looked closely at these currencies and am convinced it's a sucker game.

Comment

Originally posted by qsmcomp View Post
                  Hungry miners now even buy GTX 1060 or GTX 1050 Ti with or w/o Samsung GDDR5 memories.
                  Took a look around Newegg - seems most of those GPUs are still in-stock, but, Nvidia appears to be aware of what's going on because most of these GPUs have special deals associated with them. I figure this is Nvidia's way of convincing people who were planning on buying AMD to switch, rather than to wait for restocking.

Comment

Took a look around Newegg - seems most of those GPUs are still in-stock, but, Nvidia appears to be aware of what's going on because most of these GPUs have special deals associated with them. I figure this is Nvidia's way of convincing people who were planning on buying AMD to switch, rather than to wait for restocking.
                    You might be ignorant about the situation now in Mainland China.
                    China mines the most bitcoins and therefore ends up “exporting” the most bitcoins and other cryptocurrencies.
                    Electricity is very cheap in some region of China and has allowed Chinese Bitcoin miners to gain a very large percentage of Bitcoin’s hash power.
                    Many hydroelectric power plants in Sichuan province point their excess energy towards mining facilities for cryptocurrencies so that no energy goes to waste.

One of my friend in sales channels told me that the wholesale price of GTX 1050 Ti rose about 200 renminbi yuan (~29 USD) yesterday afternoon! The wholesale price of that bargain graphics card yesterday morning in Wuhan is about 800 renminbi yuan (~118 USD) each. She felt herself lucky that she pick hundreds of GTX 1050 Ti up from upstream agents in the morning yesterday.
                    Miners are being crazy for any graphic cards that can be used for cryptomining. Radeon cards are being out of stock for days, and in second-hand market the price of used Radeon cards are just rocketing. Someone bought a piece of RX 470 4GB for 1099 yuan (~161 USD) last year from jd.com, and he used that graphic card for playing games. 3 day ago he sold it for 1720 yuan (~253 USD)!

Some models of high power PSUs are also in hot sale because of the trend of cryptomining. e.g. Great Wall "Dragon" GW-EPS1250DA 1250W PSU. This model is capable of high current and is much more robust than PSUs from Seasonic/Super Flower/Corsair/EVGA etc.
                    Used PSU from Delta Electronics are even being popular for miners. Models includes DPS-1050CB, DPS-1000EB, NPS-1000BB etc. “Delta Dafa is good”.
                    Last edited by qsmcomp; 06 June 2017, 07:12 PM. Reason: Adding contents.

Comment

Working...
                    X