Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon RX Vega Launch Postponed To SIGGRAPH

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Radeon RX Vega Launch Postponed To SIGGRAPH

    Phoronix: Radeon RX Vega Launch Postponed To SIGGRAPH

    While there had been much rumor and speculations about the highly anticipated Radeon RX Vega launch happening at Computex Taipei this week, it isn't happening and it's now been reported that the consumer Vega launch has been postponed to SIGGRAPH...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...on-RX-VEGA-SIG

  • #2
    For Linux this is oddly fitting well in the timeline. The rest of all hardware-sites all over the net are however transforming into salt-mines.

    Comment


    • #3
      Actually, the article is partially false. The gaming SKU release was not "postponed".

      Comment


      • #4
        Whilst DC is being worked on a lot, I'm not sure its changed enough yet to stop it being blocked for merging

        Having said that it looks like there's a new branch on agd5f's repository - amd-staging-4.11, so maybe there will be a push to get DC merged into 4.13

        Comment


        • #5
          Probably a good idea to wait until SIGGRAPH, SIGGRAPH is the right place to announce anything as long as you're on the right side of the year.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi all,

            I think the things is that they're isn't a lot of HBM2 modules available right now, so they're focusing on workstation products (which is the right thing to do IMHO)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Shevchen View Post
              The rest of all hardware-sites all over the net are however transforming into salt-mines.
              Small offtopic linguistic question : could you please explain me that expression ? I didn't know it - never heard of it. (I'm not a native english speaker).


              Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              Whilst DC is being worked on a lot, I'm not sure its changed enough yet to stop it being blocked for merging

              Having said that it looks like there's a new branch on agd5f's repository - amd-staging-4.11, so maybe there will be a push to get DC merged into 4.13
              Yup, I'm crossing my fingers, hoping that it will at least get accepted into "staging". That'll increase the chances that distro (beside Gentoo) include it into their kernel, and makes the life of power-users compiling their own vanilla kernels easier.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by DrYak View Post
                Small offtopic linguistic question : could you please explain me that expression ? I didn't know it - never heard of it. (I'm not a native english speaker).
                Whatever is not ot does not follow say mainstream, you can say they goes "undergound" or to be more literal with that "transforming into salt-mines"
                Last edited by dungeon; 05-31-2017, 07:56 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Why is the word "postponed" used? In the headline.
                  Where was an earlier release date announced that was now postponed?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DrYak View Post

                    Small offtopic linguistic question : could you please explain me that expression ? I didn't know it - never heard of it. (I'm not a native english speaker).
                    I'm not a native speaker either, but let me try to explain:

                    A lot of media outlets fueled the hype-train about Vega and it gets "delayed" over and over again. Instead of just waiting until its out and doing benchmarks on what is fact, speculations have gone overboard. This may have something to do with the clickbait-journalism, the short term attention span or whatever effects we may draw out of the "new media mainstream" - but in short people are quickly getting tired of it too. Like a JoJo-effect. The metaphor I drew is that people are getting "salty" (for waiting) and that the news about Vega are for many people not interesting anymore (thus buried) so in conclusion if you combine them... a salt-mine.

                    Originally posted by dungeon View Post

                    Whatever is not ot does not follow say mainstream, you can say they goes "undergound" or to be more literal with that "transforming into salt-mines"
                    Oddly enough while its not exactly what I meant, it also fits. ^^

                    Originally posted by mibo View Post
                    Why is the word "postponed" used? In the headline.
                    Where was an earlier release date announced that was now postponed?
                    Well, if we want to nig-nag, Q2 will only see the FE version of Vega for professionals, while the consumer market may see the RX Vega in Q3. Q2 was announced and while AMD is somewhat staying to their promise by launching "something" that is Vega, the consumers won't see it within the next 2 months - while wide availability may be even further down the line.

                    The main problem is HMB2, Vega itself is ready to launch an was probably several months ago. What AMD did with this time is to tweak the chip to up its frequencies from 1000/1200 prototype to 1600 (which isn't bad tbh)
                    Last edited by Shevchen; 05-31-2017, 08:24 AM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X