Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSI GeForce GT 1030: A $70 Passively-Cooled Graphics Card, Decent With OpenGL/Vulkan/OpenCL/VDPAU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael can buy and and this new dev board to benchmarks
    The HiKey board was the first board to be certified 96Boards Consumer Edition compatible, 1GB and 2GB variants are available from LeMaker. The board is based around the HiSilicon Kirin 620 SoC and also delivers high performance 3D graphics support, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth connectivity, all packed into a board the size of a credit card.

it is has four ARM Cortex®-A73 kind a nice Core i3 competitor

Comment

Still uses signed firmware only?

Comment

Originally posted by miskol View Post
        The HiKey board was the first board to be certified 96Boards Consumer Edition compatible, 1GB and 2GB variants are available from LeMaker. The board is based around the HiSilicon Kirin 620 SoC and also delivers high performance 3D graphics support, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth connectivity, all packed into a board the size of a credit card.

No, too expensive / not worth the investment as won't be able to recover it in ads.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by miskol View Post

Nah, it has mali thus quite bad for linux(Heck I would choose even nvidia's jetsons over that). Better wait for Dragonboard 820c, which should support linux from the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            I have burned one passive cooled gt 8400 and current gpu fans are quiet so it is better to buy Gigabyte RX 460 2GB than gt 1030. Small pc cases are unpractical when building and servicing a pc, so low profile does not give any benefit. Use a midi tower case.
            Yea, one size fits all.. what a moronic opinion. If I was building a HTPC, there would be plenty of options to choose from: ARM HTPC boxes, x86 NUCs, x86 5x5, x86 ITX, x86 mATX. Even mATX fits in mini tower case. The only difference between mini and midi is 1-2 more 5.25" slots and 1-2 PCIe slots in the back. ATX Mini has room for 4 cards or 2x 2 slot wide GPUs. Why the heck would you want slots for 3-way SLI in a HTPC.

Passive cooled GPUs don't mean you don't have any fans at all. It means you can replace noisy small fans with bigger 80 to 150mm versions.

The only thing that annoys me here is the TDP. 30W is pretty much, e.g. GT 710 only has 19W. The extra perf is nice, but if it requires more cooling, not always an option.

Comment

Are my eyes tricking me or is the gtx750 faster than the 750 ti, 760 and at the 1050 ti level of speed?
              It makes no sense whatsoever.

Comment

This seems like a quick product Nvidia slapped together to appear comparable to the AMD 550, but it gets beat in nearly every benchmark by a decent margin. Other than being passively cooled, if that is a must have, I don't see a reason to ever use this over the 550, which outperforms it even on Linux, where AMD often falls short of Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by AaronC View Post
                  Interesting. Thanks for tossing in the video decode benchmarks as well. I was hoping that one of these 1030 cards would be able to pull out 4K playback but both your 720p and 1080p tests suggest they would pull out closer to 54FPS as opposed to the native 59.94 FPS. So I guess I'll go with a 1050 if I decide to include a PC in the setup.
                  VDPAU is broken for all Pascal cards, so no Pascal card can do 4K unless using the new NVDECODE, which is in testing for Linux and requires a solid PC, the latest FFMPEG build, and Nvidia's CUDA software. Even so, 4K 60fps for H.264 is level 5.2, which is beyond the capabilities of the hardware, based on what I've read in the SDK for NVDECODE. For H.265, it can do 4K 60fps, but only on low-end content and not high-end stuff.

Comment

There's something very wrong with Tomb Raider again: there is absolutely no way the RX 480 is beating the GTX 1080. Also I get 160 fps in 1080p normal with my RX 470, so the RX 480 getting 260 fps at the same settings is more than highly suspicious.

Honestly, Tomb Raider seems unreliable for automated benchmarking, it would probably be better to use another Feral game at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by HenryM View Post
                      There is something wrong with that GTX 460, at least for most games. in any other comparison I've seen, the 460 is equal to or noticeably better than a GTX 650.
                      Maybe it's just that Michael's GTX 460 is the slower variant (768 MB version with slower memory bus and less ROPs).

Comment

Working...
                      X