Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSI GeForce GT 1030: A $70 Passively-Cooled Graphics Card, Decent With OpenGL/Vulkan/OpenCL/VDPAU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSI GeForce GT 1030: A $70 Passively-Cooled Graphics Card, Decent With OpenGL/Vulkan/OpenCL/VDPAU

Phoronix: MSI GeForce GT 1030: A $70 Passively-Cooled Graphics Card, Decent With OpenGL/Vulkan/OpenCL/VDPAU

If you are looking for a low-profile, passively-cooled graphics card, the GeForce GT 1030 launched last week and MSI is out the door with such a capable graphics card while only costing around $70~80 USD. Here are some Linux OpenGL, Vulkan, OpenCL, and VDPAU video acceleration benchmarks of the MSI GeForce GT 1030 compared to various other Radeon and GeForce graphics cards under Ubuntu.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=24703

Typos:

(Not sure if a typo)

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    But we do wee the GT 1030 Pascal video engine
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Again, limited by the capabilities of qvdpautest or other VDPAU benchamrks.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 05-25-2017, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Typos:

(Not sure if a typo)

Fixed, thanks.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Is there AMD analog of such low end card?

Comment

I have burned one passive cooled gt 8400 and current gpu fans are quiet so it is better to buy Gigabyte RX 460 2GB than gt 1030. Small pc cases are unpractical when building and servicing a pc, so low profile does not give any benefit. Use a midi tower case.

Comment

Interesting. Thanks for tossing in the video decode benchmarks as well. I was hoping that one of these 1030 cards would be able to pull out 4K playback but both your 720p and 1080p tests suggest they would pull out closer to 54FPS as opposed to the native 59.94 FPS. So I guess I'll go with a 1050 if I decide to include a PC in the setup.

Comment

No Superposition?

Comment

I was rather surprised how the GTX 750 Ti still holds a decent lead. I had expected GT 1030 to much closer or equal in many of the benchmarks. Definitely not worth the price at $70, more like at $50 bracket.

Comment

There is something wrong with that GTX 460, at least for most games. in any other comparison I've seen, the 460 is equal to or noticeably better than a GTX 650.

the TF2 results look somewhat typical between those cards, though.

Maybe it's Nvidia's driver? I actually have a GTX 460 + 381.22 driver and it randomly runs Gmod very badly; for a scene that it normally manages 60-90 fps, it just stays at about 10fps or worse at all times. sometimes it goes back to normal after relaunching the game, but sometimes it doesn't...

I don't think that ever happened with my HD 5750 on the open driver.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                    Is there AMD analog of such low end card?
                    The RX 550 is the direct competitor.

Comment

Working...
                    X