Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTX 1060 to RX580 swap

Hello everyone,
    I've build a nice Ryzen-based desktop a month ago and I went with nVidia GTX1060 6 Gb as a graphics card. I'm running nvidia proprietary driver and apart from few games not running (Borderlands 2, Civ 5) it's running very smooth and performance is even above my expectations. Last desktop I had was in 2007 so since then I've only used Intel based laptops with Optimus graphics at best, so I'm only slowly coming back to the real world and getting understanding what's current status of things.

Wanting to use more open-sourced solutions and to support AMD in their effort to bring back competition to the market, I want to swap my GTX 1060 to RX580. I'm going to build second desktop on few weeks and there will be my chance to swap graphics.

Originally I went with nVidia due to lower power consumption and better understanding of performance level and stability, and that's where I'm still struggling about AMD graphics under Linux. I very like the idea of running mesa drivers, especially running Fedora which updated very regularly, but I have no idea at this point whether I'll get same performance, stability level as I'm getting now with GTX 1060. Also I remember some titles didn't support AMD graphics at all at least at start and nVidia was always supported.

I watched a lot of comparison of these cards under Windows and I'd be perfectly okay with 2-5 fps less, but things may be different under linux.

Can you help me out here and advise what to do all things above considered?

Remember that the RX5XX cards run better with a kernel such as https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...staging-kernel if using the free driver
    i'm not a hard core gamer, but I have no complaints moving from a GTX980Ti to an RX480 with that kernel

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin View Post
      Remember that the RX5XX cards run better with a kernel such as https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...staging-kernel if using the free driver
      i'm not a hard core gamer, but I have no complaints moving from a GTX980Ti to an RX480 with that kernel
      Does it mean you had complaints when you used regular kernel?

Comment

Sound didn't work, I'm not sure if 5XX card work at all with stock and free driver (AFAIK they built they're binary driver for *buntu); AMD is trying to get patches in mainline

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

You mean hdmi audio does not work with mainline kernel, only with amd-staging and amd-mainline-hybrid kernels. Better is not mix sound to video data, it takes many cpu cycles. and in a gaming pc you want all cpu power go to fps.

Phoronix has tested rx580 and it beats gtx1060 in many tests. There are not so many Linux games that does not work with Amd open source driver. I have a dream that my kid buys RX570. I am fed up to patch nvidia drivers for new kernels and using the Linux rescue mode to update the nv driver for GTX750ti.

All the games I want to play does work with my RX460. Just had 300 hours with the Rocket League game and Mesa graphics works fine.
          Can you play Dawn of war 3?

That was my kind of "no go" for Radeon (I've decided to stay with nVidia for now). Here is a good example, when DoW 3 now released it's not supported on amdgpu driver right now as far as I understand? Sure, the patches will land and it will be fine in a few weeks/month, depends on a distro, but yeah...

Also Fedora ships drivers via RPMfusion, so it's hassle free to use proprietary drivers, maybe not the latest, but working.

So bottom line, for now I'll stick with nVidia and their proprietary driver and we'll see whether/if Vega will change anything when it comes.

Comment

Working...
          X