Which Nvidia card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Nvidia card?

I was wondering which Nvidia card, 8800 GT or 9000-series, card is the best for delivering a good ratio of performance/temperature.

Does anyone know have an idea of what might be the best card (that is, exact brand)?

I thought maybe eVGA cards. I'm wondering because I got a BFG 7950 GT card for an older machine but the temps are way too high at 76 degrees.

My eVGA 7950 GT card in my main machine only gets to 50 (maybe 51) degrees and sometimes is only 49.

Also, is there anything in Linux yet that can control the fan speed of the GPU / video card?

I would go for 9800 GTX(+) if the GTX 260 is too expensive for you.

Comment

Which one, though? I thought this Asus one is good?:

Not for that price, though. I've seen those for slightly cheaper but at those prices/stores, it's currently out of stock.

How are the stock/reference (?) cooler/fans on those things?

If I went for a 9800GTX+ or 9800GT or 8800GT, are the stock fans any good? Which one doesn't need an aftermarket cooler/fan and if it needs an aftermarket cooler, which one do you recommend?

I'll buy new so I could, in theory, choose any model/brand but I want to avoid the ones that are a problem to cool. I'm not after the top performer. I'm after one that can be kept cool (low temps for the particular card).

Comment

9800GTX+ should be a double slot card - which cools better than single slot card which are most 8800GTs and as the 9800GT is not much more than a rebranded 9800GT one would expect that those are single slot cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
          Also, is there anything in Linux yet that can control the fan speed of the GPU / video card?
          nvclock can control the fan speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            9800GTX+ should be a double slot card - which cools better than single slot card which are most 8800GTs and as the 9800GT is not much more than a rebranded 9800GT one would expect that those are single slot cards.
            Hmmmmm... Would this one have good cooling?:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16814121284

What temps do the 9800GTX+ typically get? I read some place that they're around 60 degrees idle. Would that be accurate and is there any way one could get it lower? Is it acceptable? My GeForce 7950 GT is around 47 degrees but it's gone as high as 52 (without any gaming going on) but I haven't really had any issues/problems with it thus far (knock on wood). There's an aftermarket cooler on it, too. I don't know how to tell if the newer cards (e.g. 9800GTX+) has a good cooler (they call it reference cooler or???) or if you need to buy something for it. I guess there are aftermarket ones that fit that card but I don't know which one or if one is needed.

I had the impression that Asus and Palit make a lot of cards (especially Nvidia ones?) with 'atypical' coolers so I think that is a good thing.

Comment

Working...
            X