Radeon RX 550 Linux Benchmarks: $89 Polaris GPU On Open-Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    However, for those willing to consider the green side, the GeForce GTX 1050 series offer substantially better performance-per-Watt than any of the Radeon GPUs tested.
    I think this should be performance-per-dollar. Just check the context.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Well even if that Athlon 5370 you have is not something that targeted majority you would see 4-5 times more price for that same thing, say similar to nVidia's Jetson boards pricing

Emebeded, dev boards... that all have big pricing scheme, which is normal as it does not targets majority
      BTW, this machine certainly isn't in majority, but it works veriy nice and above all, it has phenomenal bang/$:
      Try that with butique "embedded" stuff like that jetson thing:

I've expanded the hell out of that thing. Board has mini-pcie which is meant for miniature Wifi, but I sodomized it with 2SER+1+PAR card, so now I have 3 COM ports and a parallel port, which is very handy for quick one-off improvisations, like driving some signals or sampling something or even chip programming a'la McGyver.
      I plan to cobble up LPT 26pin onboard connector to 5'25" floppy connector, which is handy for plugging in simple PCBs with peripheral of current opportunity.

I've also wired the BIOS chip out on the front face of the box, so I can experiment with BIOS and also use the socket for programming other SPI chips. it works great.

And if I manage to release the smoke out of anything, big deal. It can cost me $50 tops.

Comment

Lowest-end card is a dual-slot, dual-fan card. What a time to be alive!

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          I understand what Brane215 wants, something that does exist but for lower price which is something that does not exists

When something is unusual, special, so it does not target majority of course price goes up.

And he speak from Kabini low power low die low cost platform, which actually really targets majority... so that is as cheap as thing can be
          It's definitely not unusual, but it's the will of two big companies. For the "little people" does this however make about the difference between walking into a shop, which tries to attract customers with cheap blinking LED chains and one that uses a cheap PC with multiple monitors. And I know which I find more attractive.

So did Nvidia sell the GTX960 with 4 ports for a price of ÂŁ140. The GTX950 also had 4 ports, though I cannot remember its price. With the newer cards did this however change and the GTX1050 now comes with only 3 ports whereas the GTX1060 comes with 5 ports (but can only drive 4 actual display afaik). So you see, it's not unusual, but the companies are trying to get more money out of the customers by selling more ports with more expensive cards. It lacks imagination.

If at least AMD had a smarter offer on hand, but they just seem to be doing the same thing, when they could have offered something outstanding. Now one could use two RX550 (which costs about as much as a GTX1060) and get up to 6 displays, but I doubt building a PC capable of feeding two RX550 solely through PCIe with power is going to be cheap or reasonable. Ideally would one want to use a single card with a low power consumption and stick it into a silent and low-power ITX PC. You really would want a cheap, low-power card for this and the market is there. Only the two big companies don't see it, but keep targeting gamers.
          Last edited by sdack; 05 May 2017, 05:23 PM.

Comment

The results are rather strange considering that the rx 460 and the rx 550 are basically the same cards, with the 460 having 75% more shaders. The performance results seem to be much closer than that.

Comment

Originally posted by hxfhjkl View Post
              The results are rather strange considering that the rx 460 and the rx 550 are basically the same cards, with the 460 having 75% more shaders. The performance results seem to be much closer than that.
              RX550 is probably our first glimpse at next gen architecture probably not all the way to VEGA but about halfway... they probably just uses it as an excuse to test out some ideas on a very low end card where it would have little impact what good/bad it performed since most people would be buying it for low end graphics or for HTPCs etc... that would benefit from HDMI 2.0 and updated video engines.

Comment

How do i run these tests?
                I tried to run dota2 test to compare results against my hardware but it doesn't seem to work.
                I tried "phoronix-test-suite benchmark pts/dota2" and i get some interactive questions and choose resolution and api and such and then it starts the game from steam and i end up with the game menu as if i started the game normally.
                It doesn't start the benchmark.
                I then tried Tomb raider with the same result.
                How shall one run the tests with PTS?
                Is the steam tests broken or am i doing something wrong?

Comment

I would think that an even more interesting consideration would be to see if the RX 550 would be a worthy upgrade of a Carrizo or Bristol Ridge APU.

For instance....I just picked up a HP Desktop with an AMD Bristol Ridge APU specifically the A12-9800 ...( this is a quad core process upgrade of the Carrizo so as to have higher top end speed at 3.8 Ghz and 4.2 Burst speed with an R7 class IGP with 8 graphics cores clocked at 1.1 Ghz with 512 stream processors and everything accessing 16 GB of DDR4-2400 Ram )

It wasn't a bad buy at $349 US.

Comment

So basically:

RX 460: Don't buy it, AMD is being silly.
                    RX 550: Don't buy it, AMD is being silly.
                    RX 560: Buy it when the price is right. Careful: AMD might be silly with their price.
                    RX 470: Get a HIS card with 3 DisplayPort™'s'es. Mine is a little slow on clocks, but it's cool, quiet and smart enough to stop fans on low loads.
                    RX 480: Get this if it's cold in your room. It also runs games well.
                    RX 580: For really cold winters. MSI forgot to upgrade the cooler, some other manufacturers forgot to upgrade VRM.
                    RX 570: Some of them are video cards, some are space heaters. Do a research to know which is which. HIS is looking good again, good luck finding one though.

Comment

The RX550 does seem to win over the nVidia 1050 for those that would be happy with an Intel iGPU but are building a Ryzen system instead. For such case, power consumption and cost are of major concern, and from Michael's testing the RX550 beats the 1050 on both power consumption and price (although I would like to see more detailed analysis of the power consumption of RX550 vs 1050 on idle and while running light tasks).

Comment

Working...
                      X