No announcement yet.

Radeon RX 550 Linux Benchmarks: $89 Polaris GPU On Open-Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After a rapid search, the cheapest card I could find with 3DP is a RX 470 with the original AMD cooler. But that's out of your price target, unless you accept buying a used one. You may also consider a displayport MST hub, but those are more expensive than a RX 550. But they deliver the 3 DP you want.

Comment

@bridgman:

BTW, has anything changed WRT to documtation access at AMD lately ? What do I have to do to get access ?
      Considering the latest philosophical views and the fact that live in Balkans part of EU (Slovenia) that is the religious Bermuda triangle of catolics, orthodox chr and Muslims, would it help if i joined Buddist temple ?

What is the sound of one authorized hand listing through the pages of pdf document ? ;o)

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        After a rapid search, the cheapest card I could find with 3DP is a RX 470 with the original AMD cooler. But that's out of your price target, unless you accept buying a used one. You may also consider a displayport MST hub, but those are more expensive than a RX 550. But they deliver the 3 DP you want.
        I know about that. RX4xx churns a lot with multimonitor setup. DP hub is a waste of time with 4K displays. Especially since those cards have DP of previous generations and DP hubs themselves haven't yet caught up. You can't put 3 x 4K@60Hz displays on such thing...

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

More than two monitors is considered professional... that said if you have money for 4 monitors then WX 4100 is conidered cheap: ...

Why you want cheapest consumer thing to drive many monitors i dunno, that would be of course something very special so professional line covers that
          A WX4100 costs £300 vs. £80 for the RX550. For the price difference can one get two cheap Acers with 23".

My favourite Fish'n'Chips shop uses multiple monitors for displaying their menu. And it looks neat.

If it had more cheap cards with cheap multi-monitor support would we see more shops doing this. But to people with a limited mindset, where everything needs to go into boxes and needs to be labelled, and who "dunno", is this sort of thing of course unimaginable!

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Yep... Kabini uses DCE 8.3 which only has two display controllers so only two independent video streams. The Polaris chips have more display controllers (RadeonFeature says 5 or 6) and so can support more simultaneous displays:

BTW, has AMD's stance WRT to doc access changed lately ?

What do I have to do to get to the docs ? Would joining buddist temple help ?

What is the sound of one authorized hand listing through Zen's BKDG/PRGM/etc pdf file ? ;o)

Last edited by Brane215; 05 May 2017, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
              A WX4100 costs £300 vs. £80 for the RX550. For the price difference can one get two cheap Acers with 23".
              I understand what Brane215 wants, something that does exist but for lower price which is something that does not exists

When something is unusual, special, so it does not target majority of course price goes up.

And he speak from Kabini low power low die low cost platform, which actually really targets majority... so that is as cheap as thing can be
              Last edited by dungeon; 05 May 2017, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

I understand what Brane215 wants, something that does exist but for lower price which is something that does not exists

When something is unusual, special, so it does not target majority of course price goes up.
                That's called having a vision. ;o)

And it's not exactly like this stuff was never seen before.

Here is one nice (albeight old) example:

https://geizhals.eu/sapphire-radeon-...loc=uk&hloc=eu

Last edited by Brane215; 05 May 2017, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
                  That's called having a vision. ;o)
                  Well even if that Athlon 5370 you have is not something that targeted majority you would see 4-5 times more price for that same thing, say similar to nVidia's Jetson boards pricing

Emebeded, dev boards... that all have big pricing scheme, which is normal as it does not targets majority
                  Last edited by dungeon; 05 May 2017, 03:54 PM.

Comment

That's why I _LOVED_ AM1. €30 per very nice board. And €35ish for top-of-the-line quad core. With GPU. Everything with a ton of peripherals.

Comment

Neither does that card and it isn't 5x more expensive than it would be otherwise.

Thoe don't have to redesign a whole friggin card, just to use different trasceivers and connector and program a few constants in BIOS.

Comment

Working...
                      X