Radeon RX 550 Linux Benchmarks: $89 Polaris GPU On Open-Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Why you want cheapest consumer thing to drive many monitors i dunno, that would be of course something very special so professional line covers that
    Because we have more than one machine and HW tends to be perishable goods. Vents can die, chips can overheat, BGA balls can crack, elkos dry-up or perhaps a single transient can kill a card. With more expensive cards redundancy also costs more etc etc. Also, accessible FirePro stuff is always a few generations behind while latest gen is ridiculously expensive.

Comment

Still a better love story than Twillight!

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
        @dungeon:

key word being "considered"
        Yes that is the keyword, as on this RX 550 they usually put triple combo dvi, hdmi and dp just to be universal as possible. So it is just to choose, as these users mostly use just one whatever they have

Comment

Yes that is the keyword, as on this RX 550 they usually put triple combo dvi, hdmi and dp just to be universal as possible. So it is just to choose, as these users mostly use just one whatever they have
          Not usually, almost universally, and never anything more than that. I don't mind "usually" as long as there is some outlying model that covers unusual needs.
          In a sentence, I'm looking for Asrock or Biostar of graphic cards, but all I get is "attack of the clones".
          Tens of models that differ in colour of plastic shield and a vent.

Comment

If only they had at least one model with 3 x displayport outputs...

Who cares about last ounce of performance and Watt, when there are nice open source drivers.
            This is why I always lean toward AMD and prefer them, wherever they have adequate offer.

It's smallest and cheapest Polaris, and with nice monitor outputs and open-source driver it could be preferable choice for many with multi-monitor-setup.
            What is your price range? The cheap ones like this RX550 are really difficult to find with that amount of displayport outputs. But the high end like the R9 Nano are easy to find with 3 DP and 1 HDMI.

Comment

Not usually, almost universally, and never anything more than that. I don't mind "usually" as long as there is some outlying model that covers unusual needs.
              You know that special or unusual needs universaily cost more money, because majority does not need that. Can you imagine that WX 4100 in consumer market with low price, does not matter low price as it comes with 4 mini DPs, that is minus there as nearly no one would buy that there or if they do they will soon return it back because they have no monitor with such connector and so on

Comment

Previous generations are way too wasteful with multi-monitor setups. Also, aim for the latest generation. If nothing else, to be able to test new GCN abilities.
                Also, it helps to have a component that will be easily available in a year or two. Budget would be not much more than €100, preferably less. €150 would be a stretch.
                And having latest DP gen is preferable.

I'm waiting for a Zen APU. If I have to spend that $$$ somewhere, I'd prefer to spend it on GPU part of Zen APU.

But, if nice RX550 would be available now, I'd sure consider snatching one.

Comment

Open vs closed source drivers don't bother me a whole lot, but one thing that is really nice is that it's a lot easier to switch between kernels than between nvidia drivers. The nvidia driver also gets recompiled every time there's a kernel update, which is somewhat annoying.

Comment

You know that special or unusual needs universaily cost more money, because majority does not need that. Can you imagine that WX 4100 in consumer market with low price, does not matter low price as it comes with 4 mini DPs, that is minus there as nearly no one would buy that there or if they do they will soon return it back because they have no monitor with such connector and so on
                    I'm typing this on two monitor setup on Athlon 5370 on Asrock's AM1H-ITX. While watching YT and compiling codeblocks with heavy optimisations.
                    I tried having three, but even though board has FOUR outputs, I can work only with two monitors simultaneously. ;o)

It's only AM1 board with DP output and built in power supply ( it has 19V connector for classick notebook brick PSU).
                    SO it carried price premium, €50+ instead of €30, who cares.

With W4100 one is paying "professional" support, which I don't need. I don't need special closed-source drivers etc etc. I just need DP transceiver instead of classic offer.

Had there been RX550 with such setup, it could carry e.g. €50 price premium, not €500, like W5100 does.

Comment

I'm typing this on two monitor setup on Athlon 5370 on Asrock's AM1H-ITX. While watching YT and compiling codeblocks with heavy optimisations.
                      I tried having three, but even though board has FOUR outputs, I can work only with two monitors simultaneously. ;o)
                      Yep... Kabini uses DCE 8.3 which only has two display controllers so only two independent video streams. The Polaris chips have more display controllers (RadeonFeature says 5 or 6) and so can support more simultaneous displays:

Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X