NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti: Windows 10 Creators Update vs. Ubuntu Linux Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

We must be looking at different benchmarks, because as far as I can see whatever is not wrapped for Linux, performs about the same.
    We look at the same benchmarks, but I consider them all, not only the results that suites me :-)

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      So you play a lot with win virus hoover. My kid with 750ti do not even want to have that crap to his pc. You have enough games that work fine with the amdgpu driver.
      My selection of a video card has nothing to do with your kid.

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      Nvidia does not even tell what kernel versions it supports and very often 3rd party patches are needed when you want to use recent kernels. Recent kernels have bug fixes for everything, you do not want to have bugs in the file system. Gaming computers are optimized, so use a custom non debug 1000Hz timer kernel. With open source drivers it is much easier to install new drivers, just compile and install your kernel package and update mesa when you update whole system. With nvidia you must boot to the Linux rescue mode and there is no rolling back (you have kernels in the Grub menu) if nv driver installation fails.
      For me installing Kubuntu/Neon is usually enough. I don't ever recall Nvidia's driver NOT being compatible with a release (fwiw, that was pretty much the norm back in my ATI days). Sure, if I were on a rolling release it's possible I couldn't update kernel on day 1. But since I'm not, I'm fine, thank you very much.

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

We look at the same benchmarks, but I consider them all, not only the results that suites me :-)
      I'm not sure I understand. You mean I should put native games in the same bag with games with a translation layer on top?

Comment

MAD MAX - above Max settings + our optimizations for Ubuntu on:

CPU: AMD FX-8320
        GPU: Nvidia GForce 1060/6 GB VRam
        RAM: 16 GB Ram

Comment

It's what keeps me in the green camp: whatever performance I get on Windows, I get on Linux, too.
          The other reason is I can upgrade Ubuntu without fear of an unsupported kernel/X. I know AMD has fixed that, but I've been enjoying this freedom for about decade now.
          And I can't upgrade openSUSE Tumbleweed without such fear. Kernel 4.10 landed, the driver broke, requiring me to stay on 4.9 (while things like VBox drivers are only maintained on supported kernels, which is 4.10 only). Only yesterday did 4.10 support land in NVIDIA drivers...

So for that reason I'm looking forward to switching back to AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

And I can't upgrade openSUSE Tumbleweed without such fear. Kernel 4.10 landed, the driver broke, requiring me to stay on 4.9 (while things like VBox drivers are only maintained on supported kernels, which is 4.10 only). Only yesterday did 4.10 support land in NVIDIA drivers...
            Which is exactly what I said, thanks for repeating.
            Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            So for that reason I'm looking forward to switching back to AMD.
            Yes, AMD is in a much better position now compared to a few years ago. There are things that still aren't available in the open driver, but at least the 3D part is in good shape.

Comment

Which is exactly what I said, thanks for repeating.
              No, you said you can upgrade without fear, and I said I can't.

Comment

I'm not sure I understand. You mean I should put native games in the same bag with games with a translation layer on top?
                Well, you should really just look at the games you want to play. Anything else, like the tech involved, is rather besides the point.

Comment

Working...
                X