Windows 10 Creators Update vs. Ubuntu 17.04 Linux Radeon Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 Creators Update vs. Ubuntu 17.04 Linux Radeon Gaming Performance

Phoronix: Windows 10 Creators Update vs. Ubuntu 17.04 Linux Radeon Gaming Performance

Given Microsoft's Windows 10 Creators Update earlier this month and the never-ending advancements to the open-source Linux graphics driver stack along with the recent release of Ubuntu 17.04, here are some fresh benchmarks of Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux when running a wide variety of cross-platform games with an AMD Radeon RX 580 and R9 Fury graphics cards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    as can be seen from the Mesa 17.2-dev results bieng faster than Mesa 17.0

Comment

Rather interesting to see some GL tests w/ & w/o mesa_glthread=true

Comment

haha openarena was faster on linux than on windows, great news news for me as a potential AMD GPU buyer seeying that AMD is putting remarcable effort on Linux, speacially good for me as an openarena player. I just wish that AMD could fix that gamma bug on mesa or xorg where r_gamma is ignored

Comment

Again and again, Linux open source narrowing the gap with windows. It is very encouraging when you think that most game benchmarked are made for windows, and only "translated" to OpenGL. If these game were made with linux in mind, I think we can affirm that AMD cards could at least challenge windows 10 if not outperforming it.

Comment

You can tell exactly which games are using some sort of compatibility layer, and which ones are native. It's good to see Linux beating Windows when they are both running the game natively.

Comment

We could hope, that in the future properly translated or even OS-agnostic code will be used. In general, I have the impression that Linux has the potential to be even faster than Windows if the games are written "good" (we already have a few examples) - and that things like Star Citizen may become even preferred to be used on Linux. Anyhow, the performance is good enough to switch for good.

Thanks for the test!

Comment

Originally posted by danieru View Post
                haha openarena was faster on linux than on windows, great news news for me as a potential AMD GPU buyer seeying that AMD is putting remarcable effort on Linux, speacially good for me as an openarena player. I just wish that AMD could fix that gamma bug on mesa or xorg where r_gamma is ignored
                I think it has more to do with the fact that OpenArena devs focus on Unix performance than the AMD drivers being better when running OpenArena (and nothing else) or whatever you're trying to imply here.

Comment

nice article michael!
                  But why are source / source 2 engine games missing? And Hitman and Serious Sam with Vulkan... I thought all those were automated, but maybe not on win 10?

Comment

Originally posted by danieru View Post
                    That's actually an xserver bug rather than a driver bug and it's been fixed in a recent xserver.

Comment

Working...
                    X