Windows 10 Creators Update vs. Ubuntu 17.04 Linux Radeon Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    He, he, but it isn't just about old apps... i spot some Unity engine games that use SDL too that have broken cursors, i guess app devs probably just select gamma color space instead of linear for these cursor and gotcha - hit same X bug... so generally this might fix some custom gammafied cursors in sdl apps too
    Well, SDL is actually the problem, not the apps per se. SDL uses legacy X APIs that cause the gamma problems with randr 1.2 capable drivers. As for the cursor, a lot of games ported from windows get that wrong. X defines ARGB cursors as using pre-mulitplied alpha. Windows uses non-pre-multiplied alpha for ARGB cursors. Some games are not properly updated when ported to Linux.

Comment

Be careful when looking at AMDs Windows OpenGL Driver stack; it's known to be VERY suboptimal in terms of performance. I'd imagine the fact AMDs OGL driver is not that high performance is at least partially to blame for the results.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
        Be careful when looking at AMDs Windows OpenGL Driver stack; it's known to be VERY suboptimal in terms of performance. I'd imagine the fact AMDs OGL driver is not that high performance is at least partially to blame for the results.
        Looks like Michael is going to do an NVidia comparison as well, so we'll see. Personally, I expect it to look pretty similar to these results.

Comment

....but generally it's the overhead of these Linux game ports that results in a noticeable and often significant hit to performance.
          Very true, tho drivers have quite a room for improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

That's actually an xserver bug rather than a driver bug and it's been fixed in a recent xserver.
            Awesome, I hope this fixes the r_gamma bug in openrena when using drivers that use mesa3d.
            Currently I do xgamma, but is far from optimal.

I don't understand how this was a bug in xserver and not in mesa though, since i have the issue with intel and nvidia with nouveau, but not with nvidia with closed driver.

Comment

Well, this is good and all, but mesa still has a ways to go in order to offer "smooth" rendering in games. I mean, with Valley for example, I get a spread of 28-60fps and all throughout the benchmark I get horrible stuttering (even at the places it's above 50fps). Same happens with games like Tomb Raider. Under Windows rendering is smooth as butter, even when it dips to 30ish fps.

Comment

How about only CPU performance? Not about gaming, more like a general performance.

Comment

Working...
                X