No announcement yet.

Radeon RX 580: AMDGPU-PRO vs. DRM-Next + Mesa 17.2-dev

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks pretty promising, couple of hiccups with performance there but nothing eye bleeding. I do hope this DRM-Next driver has better Vulkan support, RADV really struggles for allot of things which is unfortunate because in the near future it looks like allot of upcoming and previous titles will move to Vulkan, including some Windows based ones which will make things VERY interesting for Wine users, (eyeballs upcoming fallout4-vr-update)

Comment

Alright, that's it. It's time for AMD to put their closed source driver to rest. There is no point in spending resources on it any more.

Comment

Maybe some day AMD can ship Mesa on all platforms, it's under a permissive license so I don't think it would be a problem (even if they have to integrate proprietary components on Windows).

It already builds on windows (and with less integration, builds prettymuch anywhere), so I guess it would be a matter of hooking it up to WGL (which I think is already done?) and then to a kernel driver.

Then maybe AMD could relicense AMDGPU under ISC like Intel does with i965, this would allow them to ship it on Windows (try to keep things which differ separate instead of ifdefing or abstracting them away though), and also allow it to be included directly in *BSD, maybe Magenta/Fuchsia OS and wherever else permissive licensing is preferred or necessary.
        Last edited by microcode; 26 April 2017, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
          Alright, that's it. It's time for AMD to put their closed source driver to rest. There is no point in spending resources on it any more.
          I think they MUST maintain it for professionals and such who require special sauce features etc.. I'm not sure but doesn't it work with OpenCL better and dual adapter support? those are quite important for rendering and such.

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
            I find it hard to believe that the open source community (I guess with the help of paid AMD developers) .
            As mentioned above. Do not guess,please. Most of radeonsi deveolpers are AMD employes, now at Marek Olšák wrote.

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
            can develop a driver that performs better than what AMD are doing in-house. Wow.

It is logical as
            O'Reilly European Open Source Convention - 17-20 October, 2005 Amsterdam
            70 percent of the world's open source developers are based in Europe

and a fresh article in slovak

Až 95 % programátorov v Indii je nespôsobilých na vývoj softvéru
            (English translate: As much as 95 percent of Indian programmers are not able to develop software)

V roku 2011 ... odhadla, že iba 25 % indických absolventov strojárstva je zamestnateľných.

(English > Agency found out that only 25% mechanical engineering graduates are employable at their branch, in 2011 due to its competences)

Podľa štúdie spoločnosti Aspiring Minds iba 4,77 % kandidátov dokáže napísať program so správnou logikou, čo je minimálna požiadavka na akúkoľvek programátorskú prácu.

English: Asping Minds study found out that only 4,77 percent of employ candidates is able to write program correct correct logic that is minimal requirement for any compter programming work in 2017.

Ukázalo sa, že dve tretiny študentov nevedeli napísať ani „kompilovateľný kód“. Štúdia poznamenáva, že iba 1,4 % kandidátov vie vytvoriť funkčne správny a efektívny kód.

English: they found out that two thirds of computer science students were not able to write code that is able to be compiled. Study found out that only 1,4% of candidates is able to produce code that meets specifications and is effective as well,
            Hoci indické univerzity vzdelávajú najväčšiu inžiniersku populáciu na svete, úroveň zručností ich absolventov nie je vysoká. V roku 2011 Národná asociácia spoločností zameraných na softvér a služby od ...

But Europe is not India, yet.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

I think they MUST maintain it for professionals and such who require special sauce features etc.. I'm not sure but doesn't it work with OpenCL better and dual adapter support? those are quite important for rendering and such.
              Nope. Both use the same kernel driver, and you can use Pro OpenCL package with Mesa. I do.

Comment

Wake me when you benchmark Blender 2.79 OpenCL Mesa vs. AMD GPUPro. I look forward to that making an appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                  it's time for you to put your crazy thoughts about amd closed driver to rest. there is no point in repeating bullshit

Comment

Sometimes I wonder why there so much hostility (mainly people provoking eachother because of opinions) on these forums...

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      it's time for you to put your crazy thoughts about amd closed driver to rest. there is no point in repeating bullshit
                      Are you one of the AMD closed source driver developers? Your response sounded as if you are threatened by the open driver. Care to explain why dropping the closed driver is "crazy" and "bullshit" or explain why we even need the closed driver when the open driver is soon going to catch up?

Comment

Working...
                      X