No announcement yet.

Overclocking The Radeon RX 580 Under Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fan control and undervolting would be much nicer features. I now have to manually start radeon-profile every time i boot so that i could have normal fan control curve. The card also seems to run at 50-60% frequency in many games, so it's wasting electricity sitting at the default (high) voltages.

Comment

Can you actually change the voltage with amdgpu? It is required to get more... But it still not bad for a reoverclocked overclocked rx480 thank to amd changing the maximum tdp and voltage limit in the bios.

Note: you can edit the bios and flash to up voltage on Linux but windows will blue screen thank to destroyed checksum

Someone know if I put a 580 bios on my 480, do it will take the extra juice from the 6 pin connector (still have margin technically) or from the pcie power rail?

Comment

Originally posted by hxfhjkl View Post
        Fan control and undervolting would be much nicer features. I now have to manually start radeon-profile every time i boot so that i could have normal fan control curve. The card also seems to run at 50-60% frequency in many games, so it's wasting electricity sitting at the default (high) voltages.
        The voltages are changed dynamically along with the clocks. Even if you enable overclocking, the GPU will drop the clocks and voltages when demand drops.

Comment

Originally posted by RavFX View Post
          Someone know if I put a 580 bios on my 480
          That is a bad idea. The vbios contains a lot of board specific information (e.g., display topology, memory information (vendor, timings, voltages, etc.), voltage control methods, etc.) that is likely to cause problems if it's not matched to the specific board it was designed for.

Comment

The only useful way to overclock under Linux is flashing a new bios from Windows, unfortunately.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
              I think these 500 series will drop to real cheap quickly as they will be superseded by Rx Vega
              like 285 was superseded by fury. i.e. they will not be superseded

Comment

Originally posted by Emdek View Post
                They should call them RX 4x5 (450, 465, 475 and 485), as they promised to call minor improvements...
                why? does intel call their cpus with same generation number for last several years?

Comment

@pal666, because last year they told that xx5 is reserved for refreshes from now on, and sadly 5xx turned more like just bumped clocks (at the expense of bigger power draw) out of the box, slightly improved firmware (which turns out to be compatible with 4xx, at least you can flash 480 to 580), proper power connector for 580 etc.
                  Plus it's bad idea to follow bad examples and Intel right now outdone itself, making improvements less and less noticeable...

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

That is a bad idea. The vbios contains a lot of board specific information (e.g., display topology, memory information (vendor, timings, voltages, etc.), voltage control methods, etc.) that is likely to cause problems if it's not matched to the specific board it was designed for.
                    Lot of people do it. from my research, I found out that I have to put the BIOS ot the MSI RX580 Gaming X or something like that on my Sapphire RX480 reference. Using the Sapphire RX580 BIOS will make one of the display port stop working but it's not the case for the MSI bios. Note that I do need a proper cooler as the reference turbine cooler is utter crap and it will not work fine if I keep that. The difference between the BIOS is that AMD allow a greater TDP(HEAT!), increase the normal voltage by 0.1v(HEAT!) and put the clock to 1411Mhz(HEAT!) (generally, some bios are 1390 or 1450). Also even if you can't go higher than 1350Mhz with overclock, you can get 1411 after flashing simply because what limit the OC is the TDP limit that lower the voltage when you reach it and.. crash your card.

Disclaimer : Radeons are not made equal, ASIC quality will make the card work at higher clock with lower voltage. Also some people do increase slightly the voltage after the flash as there GPU are not good enough. Don't do that if you don't have dual bios or know how to flash after fail flash/wrong bios. Also I don't recommend doing that on a 6pin card and my question is still there : where do the card take the extra power? the 6 pin connector or the pcie power rail?
                    Last edited by RavFX; 23 April 2017, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hxfhjkl View Post
                      So you are able to undervolt with radeon-profile? Or not?

Comment

Working...
                      X