No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon RX 580 Linux OpenGL/Vulkan Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Michael: Are there any benchmarks planned with the 17.10 -pro stack?
    Would be nice to see current -pro Vulkan performance of all the games (Talos, DOTA, Mad Max) vs. Nvidia
    Last edited by juno; 20 April 2017, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by faph View Post
      Thanks, no further questions your honor.
      /thread
      Well sorry for not hanging out on cryptocurrency boards so that I can present first hand information...

Also get your rumors right, GPUs for mining is dead since a couple of years, they use specialized FPGAs nowadays. There is no way anyone would have used an RX400 card for cyrptomining.
      You do know that bitcoin is not the only cryptocurrency out there? Even then you're behind the times because ASICs replaced FPGAs in bitcoin mining a couple of years ago when complexity became so high that FPGAs consumed more money in electricity than what they generated in bitcoin.

And last but not least, the mobo is merely relaying the power from the PSU to the PCIEX slot, there are no chips whatsoever involved - nothing can break here.
      At what point did I claim that there were some active components in there? You do realize that passive components can fail when too much power going trough them. This sort of thing has happened before and it usually results in a short circuit after the affected connector to the PSU literally melts.

So nice try at pretending to know what you're talking about, but no cigar...

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
        Looking at the new Radeon 500 series there's more cards then in the Radeon RX 400 series.
        It looks like we will see AMD in more motherboards and laptops.

Radeon RX 580 Desktop, Laptop
        Radeon RX 570 Desktop, Laptop
        Radeon RX 560 Desktop, Laptop
        Radeon RX 550 Desktop, Laptop
        Radeon RX 540 Laptop
        Radeon 530 Desktop, Laptop 3rd Gen GCN 28nm So this is a re-rebrand of an Volcanic Islands chip and i guess it's Beema with a new name.
        Radeon 520 Desktop, Laptop 1st Gen GCN 28nm So this is a re-re-rebrand of an Southern Island chip and i guess it's Oland with a new name.
        This indicates a difference from the RX 400 series that wasn't not to be found in many laptops, i can only think of ASUS X550IU with the RX 460 GPU and it was released 2017.
        Thanks for pointing that out.
        I actually think both, 520 and 530 are Oland, which has the required 6 CUs. Beema was an APU.
        But at least all from 540 up to 580 are Polaris now. Previously we had Oland, Cape Verde (both GCN Gen.1), Bonaire (G2) and Tonga (G3) in the mobile 400 series.

Comment

Originally posted by itoffshore
          Adored TV's 580 review was interesting with undervolting via AMD's 'Chill'
          I agree. I didn't really understand Chill until seeing that excellent demonstration. It's pretty clever (especially when paired with a wide-range FreeSync display), but since it requires per-game profiles I fear it might not get much traction.

Comment

I'm normally not one to make a complaint about Phoronix, but I don't get the point of Michael asking the forums for opinions when he seems to ignore them every single time. Whether it's "what distribution should I test with?" or "which of these models should I buy?" or "what would you like to see me test next?" he almost never picks what people seem to ask for the most. Even the 570 (another re-badged GPU) would've been more interesting, while costing less.

Comment

Because their margin is higher for the 8 GiB version.

Comment

Could you run the benchmark with rx480 and rx580 with limited fps to 144 and then 60? Playing dota 2. 144 is for 144 monitors and 60 is for just having playable game at any time. And measure the power consumtion. Also I would be interested in these new so called power savings.

Comment

GTX 1060 remains the better choice.
                  RX 580 is even less efficient than RX 480, and consumes more than GTX 1080. The efficiency gap with Pascal is massive.

Comment

Hm, interesting. Indeed, looks like the increased clocks cost power. Since I have a GTX 660, and my PSU is ~440W, I really don't want to go above that. Which means that an RX 580 is just out of the range. An RX 570 is well within it, though. On the other hand, RX 480 is also within it. Which means that there's an annoying dilemma between the stronger RX 480 and weaker RX 570. The RX 480 might be more power-hungry than was shown in specs, but it's still less power-hungry than RX 580 as seen in the benchmark.

I suppose the price-performance is better for the RX 570 though.

Comment

I'm thinking on build my first desktop, I would like to use AMD for the open driver but I want to limit the power usage. Is the first time that I hear about it, what about the undervolt solution? I saw the the itoffshore post and the reddit discussion linked below: it is easily feasible also for us on Linux? I would like to have a 580 RX but less power hungry, with power consumption like a GTX 1060
                      Which one will consume less wattage? I know at stock the 580 is higher but which one consumes less once undervolted?

Comment

Working...
                      X