Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU-PRO Updated With Radeon RX 500 Series Support

Phoronix: AMDGPU-PRO Updated With Radeon RX 500 Series Support

AMD has posted an updated AMDGPU-PRO 17.10 driver with support for the RX 500 "Polaris Evolved" graphics cards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

FreeSync is still broken on these new 17.10 drivers. Frustrating. Reverting back to 16.60 drivers. Any idea when open-source drivers will be getting FreeSync?

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

the open source drivers already do have FreeSync support over DAL/DC code but right now DAL/DC is not in the mainline linux kernel. means you have to build custom linux kernel oder you need to use the DC kernel build.

in my point of view the closed source driver is pure fraud the last 10 years they betray the people with that piece of shit. It was never a solution and will never be a solution.
      I blocked you once and I'll block you again! Also, the closed driver has always sucked yes... but saying AMD has betrayed anyone is nonsense, they are at the forefront of open graphics drivers.

Comment

i think the message was clear that the closed source driver is fraud and the opensource driver is NOT fraud.
        Fraud denotes criminal activity. Got proof?

Comment

phoronix If you can; please test what happens if you try the RX580 with the AMDGPU driver. Does it fail gracefully?

Comment

While it's great that AMD updated their driver to possibly support their new cards, it would be even greater if they got it to work on the $330 R9-390 that I now regret buying last year. I'm seriously considering just giving up on it and chalking it up as a $330 lesson learned not to buy AMD any longer, and switching back to Nvidia.

I've always tried to support the underdog, and considered AMD products a value even if they weren't quite as powerful, but this never ending Linux graphics driver boondoggle has forced me to reconsider. In fact I've given up on ever seeing a graphics driver GUI again, and am now so desperate I'd be eternally grateful just for a driver that worked.
            Last edited by muncrief; 19 April 2017, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Does anyone know if this AMDGPU-PRO driver package works on Ubuntu 17.04? I doubt it because of the much newer kernel version.

Comment

Originally posted by flubba86 View Post
                Does anyone know if this AMDGPU-PRO driver package works on Ubuntu 17.04? I doubt it because of the much newer kernel version.
                No it doesn't. It doesn't support any kernel over 4.8, and requires X.Org Server 1.18.

And be very careful when installing AMDGPU-PRO on any system. It's notorious for corrupting systems when you try to install or uninstall it, whether it works or not. I use rsync to back up my system before touching it. If you don't know how to use rsync just google it, it's fairly simple.

Comment

Originally posted by flubba86 View Post
                  You need to read more Phoronix: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...O-Ubuntu-17.04
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

everyone with 2 ayes in the head can see the fraud without any proof.
                    In other words, you know jack about the Law and the term, Fraud. Thanks for the entertainment.

Comment

Working...
                    X