This Week's Mesa 17.1-dev + Linux 4.11 Radeon Performance vs. NVIDIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prazola View Post

But it's one of the problem if the windows client runs better than the native one...or am I wrong? I don't think any sort of translation layer can boost performances.
    Nvidia goes better because the driver is better at multithreading.
    Sure you are right, in that case the translation layer impacts performance, ports like metro lastlight redux which are well done demonstrate that a good quality port can achieve even better performance on linux than windows. Yet, one can not deny that mesa needs a lot of love.

Comment

Michael Please test metro and tomb raider on higher settings also. Fps are too high. Also: could you look at cpu utilization of civilization? I guess nvidia does threading on 2 cores while amd only uses one. Then retest with amds new threading enabled. Civ should then be added to the white list

Comment

Question: I also use Tomb Raider at Ultra+++ settings (basically Ultra settings + maxed-out shadows, which are at Normal on Ultra) as a benchmark, because it does drag down the fps in the 30-40 area (I have a 1440p monitor). When I reduce graphics settings, I still get TressFX activated (it's flagged as off in the menu, but I can still see individual hair strands on Lara's head). I wonder if it's the same on anybody else's machine...

Comment

Originally posted by mitch074 View Post
          Question: I also use Tomb Raider at Ultra+++ settings (basically Ultra settings + maxed-out shadows, which are at Normal on Ultra) as a benchmark, because it does drag down the fps in the 30-40 area (I have a 1440p monitor). When I reduce graphics settings, I still get TressFX activated (it's flagged as off in the menu, but I can still see individual hair strands on Lara's head). I wonder if it's the same on anybody else's machine...
          You need to restart the game to enable/disable TressFX. It cannot be reset during gameplay due to how the engine and the hair animation works.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post

Sure you are right, in that case the translation layer impacts performance, ports like metro lastlight redux which are well done demonstrate that a good quality port can achieve even better performance on linux than windows. Yet, one can not deny that mesa needs a lot of love.
            Metro on linux is missing a lot of effects, tessellation first, that's why it's blazing fast. If I correctly remember it's capped to OpenGL3.1 while it uses a full DX11 renderer in windows, at least in its redux version.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
              Metro for linux uses OpenGL 3.1 without tessellation and other minor effects, on Windows it's DX11 (redux) and full of tessellation, better AO and shadows.

Comment

Today's API Overhead Benchmarks on Windows(Vulkan vs. DX12 vs. DX11 single threaded vs. DX11 multi threaded)

Comment

Working...
                X