140 Patches Posted To Wire Up Radeon RX Vega In RadeonSI Gallium3D Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geopirate View Post
    Aren't they a lot more concerned with getting this together for their workstation products based on Vega's architecture and we are just the very excited guinea pigs?
    You mean gitnea pigs So depends how you look at it, if somebody is not gitnea pig AI won't be release ready till Ubuntu 17.10, otherwise AMDGPU-PRO
    Last edited by dungeon; 03-21-2017, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Wow - that's a lot of code in one big drop! Wouldn't it be more efficient to do a number of smaller code drops? If there is feedback or changes from the Mesa devs, there could be lots of time-consuming fix-up work.

I think this is what happened with the original AMDGPU stuff... AMD dropped 1000s of lines of code in one chunk so the feedback was late in the process, meaning that there was a huge delay while the code was finalized.

I guess lawyers are more important than sensible development processes

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
        Wow - that's a lot of code in one big drop! Wouldn't it be more efficient to do a number of smaller code drops? If there is feedback or changes from the Mesa devs, there could be lots of time-consuming fix-up work.
        That would be nice indeed, but since it'll be some time before Vega is in stores, the lawyers, marketing, and others are obviously concerned not to reveal too much information before then. Look on the bright side: Vega will be fully supported from day 1 when you can actually buy it.

Besides, adding support for new hardware within the same software architecture framework is much more straightforward from a review point of view than software architectural changes. These patch series are a very different story from DAL/DC.

Comment

Great!
          Hope this will be mainlined asap.

However, I have the feeling we will read soon from Linus rioting on the streets.
          Last edited by entropy; 03-21-2017, 06:10 AM. Reason: Linux -> Linus

Comment

Working...
          X