NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti On Linux: Best Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    What does this mean? Cinnamon and MATE are both installed and are battling to the death, causing poor performance? Or are you saying that one has some kind of visual performance bugs and the other one doesn't? If so, which one? And why would desktop effects make any difference?

My Core 2 Duo laptop from 2008 with intel graphics can run any modern Linux distro with full visual effects, with no stutter, no lag, no screen tearing. No matter what Desktop environment or window manager I'm using. If almost decade old intel graphics can give silky smooth desktop performance, why can't a $700 GTX 1080 ti card?

What does CPU utilization have to do with GPU smoothness? I can run folding@home or handbrake on the aforementioned Core 2 Duo laptop, pegging CPU at 100%, and desktop visual effects are still silky smooth, no stutter no tearing. Perhaps Core 2 Duo is some kind of alien technology from the future?
    Goodness, torsionbar28, no need to get violent. What you can achieve is not necessarily what others can achieve. More importantly, I have observed in the past with my nVidia GPU under Mint 14 various pauses and effects not conducive to a good movie experience. At the time suggestions for using a less resource-hogging DE and trying real-time vs. generic kernels were made. I don't see the problem in Mint 17.3, but maybe others do. And GPUs get direction from CPUs. I doubt my 9800 GT is decoding .mkv files for mplayer; I expect the CPU is providing that function.

And no, I didn't mean Cinnamon battling MATE. I meant that use of MATE, having a lower demand on CPU and GPU resources than Cinnamon, MIGHT reduce visual defects in the presented image stream. My comments were meant to suggest ameliorations for those having problems with their existing nVidia cards, and not meant as an excuse for nVidia not achieving whatever you see with Intel or AMD.

In other words, your criticism of nVidia was not what I addressed.

Comment

My Core 2 Duo laptop from 2008 with intel graphics can run any modern Linux distro with full visual effects, with no stutter, no lag, no screen tearing. No matter what Desktop environment or window manager I'm using.
      If that were true, then much of the work being done to make Wayland tear-free would be pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

while the price is lower, the benefits / chances to recover that investment are less. Rather save to buy new Polaris and/or Vega if AMD doesn't provide sample but hopefully they will (hopefully they listen to bridgman )
        as a fury x gamer I am all for it. More 4k benches also
        Maybe you could always run all benches by default in HD and 4k and combine the bar graphs by stacking the HD bar on top of the 4k bar. Or there could somewhere be a switch to toggle all graphs from HD to 4k

Comment

Originally posted by NihilMomentum View Post

Michael, will you do some gaming benchmarks with Ryzen + Nvidia vs Intel + Nvidia?

You've only done it with AMDGPU for now...
          Thats also a big +1 for me. But wait for a new ryzen mobo BIOS first so that you can run this with 3200 Mhz RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post

Thats also a big +1 for me. But wait for a new ryzen mobo BIOS first so that you can run this with 3200 Mhz RAM.
            Well if we see the tests now, and also after the BIOS update, then we can see the difference it made, and with any kernel, compiler or game updates.

I expect over the next few months we'll see several small improvements that will eventually add up to a meaningful difference.

Comment

Dear Santa...

Comment

Originally posted by indepe View Post
                If that were true, then much of the work being done to make Wayland tear-free would be pointless.
                I don't know anything about Wayland, never used it. I do know my Core 2 Duo laptop running CentOS 6.8 with GNOME2 and Compiz can do the 3D desktop cube thing, with VLC playing a movie on one side, Playing a 3D accelerated Windows game using WINE on another side, playing a Youtube video in Chrome on another side, and GLX gears on the fourth side. I can make the cube translucent and rotate it around, and all four sides play silky smooth, no stuttering, no tearing. Would you like me to record a video with my cell phone and publish it on youtube for all to see? There is no magic secret sauce here, it's a vanilla install with default settings on a 9 year old laptop.

My desktop workstation with original GTX Titan and latest Nvidia drivers cannot achieve this "feat", however, without noticeable tearing and stuttering.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  So where's the latest Titan X? Is it slower?
                  It's almost the same. 1080 Ti has a few more units disabled but clocks are higher ootb. If you compare overclocked vs. overclocked, Titan is still the fastest.

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  hey yes a Fury X would be optimal. I vote for this to. it is a shame that Nvidia always get the absolute high-end cards and amd always get some second class hardware.

and yes i know money is a bitch and sometimes Michael can not afford it.
                  Fiji is dead, noone cares about it anymore. Aquiring a Fury X now would be a total waste of money.
                  Vega is the single interesting GPU released in 2017.

Comment

I don't know anything about Wayland, never used it. I do know my Core 2 Duo laptop running CentOS 6.8 with GNOME2 and Compiz can do the 3D desktop cube thing, with VLC playing a movie on one side, Playing a 3D accelerated Windows game using WINE on another side, playing a Youtube video in Chrome on another side, and GLX gears on the fourth side. I can make the cube translucent and rotate it around, and all four sides play silky smooth, no stuttering, no tearing. Would you like me to record a video with my cell phone and publish it on youtube for all to see? There is no magic secret sauce here, it's a vanilla install with default settings on a 9 year old laptop.

My desktop workstation with original GTX Titan and latest Nvidia drivers cannot achieve this "feat", however, without noticeable tearing and stuttering.
                    Sounds like a sync issue. In a few days I can try this myself, but at this point I'd guess that it's either a setting (maybe the nvidia driver has vsync off by default or something similar) or some installation problem, since otherwise I'd expect there would be more technical information being posted about that, and in the forums.

Comment

It would be of interest if you opened your two systems' counterparts to Mint's System Monitor and looked at the amounts of CPU utilization being used by relevant processes when each computer is running the rotating cube to see if some process in the workstation's list is hogging resources or at least whether the workstation CPU utilization by xorg is significantly higher than for the laptop.

Comment

Working...
                      X