No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti On Linux: Best Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see a point in spending more than 250$~ for a gpu if you game on linux. There are not enough titles to warrant that kind of investment.

Comment

Originally posted by Horizon_Brave View Post
      Hi everyone..I'm new here and was very curious in this process... The article says that nvidia gave the 1080 card to you guys,..

1.When they do this, what is their intention? Do they just want you to review it? Or are they expecting you guys to reverse engineer it and create the open source drivers for it?
      The cards given to phoronix are strictly for review purposes, i don't think Michael is into reverse engineering.

Originally posted by Horizon_Brave View Post
      2. You guys seem upset over this..so I'm suspect that AMD or Intel, goes out of their way to provide the FOSS community (you fine folks) with better tools or support, or even providing the Open Source drivers themselves?
      AMD and Intel both provide open source drivers themselves by contributing to MESA and the linux kernel, while nvidia only provides a closed source driver (which is of arguably high quality though) and makes if difficult for the reversed engineered nouveau driver to support new hardware by delaying firmware releases required to provide any kind of hardware acceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by hxfhjkl View Post
        I don't see a point in spending more than 250$~ for a gpu if you game on linux. There are not enough titles to warrant that kind of investment.
        And those which exist are not worth it either.
        Sad truth: you get a better gaming experience if you just buy Windows, another disk to install it on and save that spent money on the graphics card.

Comment

Originally posted by hxfhjkl View Post
          Well, there are always cases to eat any performance... somebody might wanna do 5K gaming on Linux or something

Comment

Originally posted by patstew View Post
            "I upgraded my graphics card to one that's higher end and 4 years newer, which made my graphics faster". No shit.
            If you didn't notice I was mainly according to 2D performance and overall smoothness. Faster 3D performance is obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

It is a common phenomenon for people in general to experience a placebo effect after buying a new product they are excited about. GTX 660Ti is a GPU with 1344 CUDA cores.
              Not in my case. Radeon 1900 xt also had much better 2D performance.

Comment

Originally posted by GreekGeek View Post
                "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti On Linux: Best Linux Gaming Performance." And that is a fact. :-)

GreekGeek :-)
                And not so good Linux (and even Windows) experience. That is a fact as well.

Comment

Originally posted by kaseki View Post
                  Things that could make a difference in Linux (at least Mint) detectably interrupting video generation are Cinnamon vs MATE desktop environments, desktop special effects vs. no special effects, generic kernel vs. real-time kernel, and running parallel tasks such as bit torrent. Similar effects may affect other builds and DEs.
                  What does this mean? Cinnamon and MATE are both installed and are battling to the death, causing poor performance? Or are you saying that one has some kind of visual performance bugs and the other one doesn't? If so, which one? And why would desktop effects make any difference?

My Core 2 Duo laptop from 2008 with intel graphics can run any modern Linux distro with full visual effects, with no stutter, no lag, no screen tearing. No matter what Desktop environment or window manager I'm using. If almost decade old intel graphics can give silky smooth desktop performance, why can't a $700 GTX 1080 ti card?

Originally posted by kaseki View Post
                  In an earlier Mint than I use now, there was a lot of processor power being expended into x.org and Cinnamon when they weren't visibly doing anything.
                  What does CPU utilization have to do with GPU smoothness? I can run folding@home or handbrake on the aforementioned Core 2 Duo laptop, pegging CPU at 100%, and desktop visual effects are still silky smooth, no stutter no tearing. Perhaps Core 2 Duo is some kind of alien technology from the future?

Comment

"Best Linux gaming performance"

So where's the latest Titan X? Is it slower? Doesn't seem to be on the list...

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                      "Best Linux gaming performance"

So where's the latest Titan X? Is it slower? Doesn't seem to be on the list...
                      I don't have that Titan X but according to all the Windows reviews, the GTX 1080 Ti is still generally faster.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X