NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti On Linux: Best Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    If you wait for RX Vega this card will get slashed by ~$100 when that gets ready for release. I do hope the AMD RADV can make some significant improvements soon, it basically needs to DOUBLE fps to keep up.

Also it seems the R9 Fury only performs like a 8.9Tflop card in Tomb Raider?
    Vega is not going to beat this card, it will be a GP104 competitor. AMD have already demonstrated the performance level of Vega 10, it will be slightly ahead of GTX 1080 in AMD favoring games like GTX 1080.

Comment

The top VEGA is meant to be a 12.5tflop card, how does that not compete with the 1080ti at 10.8tflop?
      (we know AMD has a issue using their flops to full potential, but still..)

And as for performance, well that card was a prototype one running on some driver hack just to show it off, apparently it was FAR from a production ready card.

Comment

Pawlerson is right about desktop smoothness though. I'm on AMD (amdgpu) after years of proprietary NVIDIA and the difference is pretty amazing. Gaming was the only advantage on NVIDIA and even that's now a closing gap. I wish for the sake of NVIDIA users they would improve things there though.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
          The top VEGA is meant to be a 12.5tflop card, how does that not compete with the 1080ti at 10.8tflop?
          (we know AMD has a issue using their flops to full potential, but still..)

And as for performance, well that card was a prototype one running on some driver hack just to show it off, apparently it was FAR from a production ready card.
          I was under the impression that there are several features in Vega to improve the efficiency of turning FLOPs into FPS. That being said, I guess we will just have to wait and see. I hope they do as well with Vega as they did with Zen (even though they are two totally separate portions of the company.)

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
            Pawlerson is right about desktop smoothness though. I'm on AMD (amdgpu) after years of proprietary NVIDIA and the difference is pretty amazing. Gaming was the only advantage on NVIDIA and even that's now a closing gap. I wish for the sake of NVIDIA users they would improve things there though.
            Maybe that's Wayland you are running now ?

Comment

Michael what do you think in acquiring a Radeon R9 Fury X now? The price should be much more affordable now and would be nice to have the higher end version running on RadeonSI

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                Michael what do you think in acquiring a Radeon R9 Fury X now? The price should be much more affordable now and would be nice to have the higher end version running on RadeonSI
                while the price is lower, the benefits / chances to recover that investment are less. Rather save to buy new Polaris and/or Vega if AMD doesn't provide sample but hopefully they will (hopefully they listen to bridgman )
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post

I was under the impression that there are several features in Vega to improve the efficiency of turning FLOPs into FPS. That being said, I guess we will just have to wait and see. I hope they do as well with Vega as they did with Zen (even though they are two totally separate portions of the company.)
                  It's a mistake to try to predict the performance of a new GPU architecture before it comes out.

No one (except AMD) has any idea how the final product is going to perform, and everyone on these forums who tells you differently is lying.

Comment

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
                    I can testify on this too. There is a huge difference on desktop smoothness... I have a 970 in one of my machines and can therefore compare the machines live... It is a big difference.

Comment

How the heck do you quote posts on the mobile interface..

Anyway yeah indepe , being able to use Wayland no doubt makes a difference. But even in Xorg sessions, the difference is still quite noticeable to me in response on the desktop, repainting stuff on the screen etc even in minimal WMs. I always found GNOME also really sluggish and prone to memory leaks on proprietary NVIDIA.

In saying that, that's my experience. Yet I've seen other guys, like the LinuxGameCast guy Venn, run on pure NVIDIA for years and never complain about screen tearing or anything. And this is even before the CompositionPipeline switch thingy. So I don't geddit. But my desktop experience with NVIDIA has always been subpar, although Kwin used to run nicely circa KDE 4.6.

Comment

Working...
                      X