X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mibo View Post
    Yes, I'm happy with my rx480.
    But, for Linux gaming in general - there is a long way to go :-(
    It seems to be fine if you happen to be an Ubuntu user...
    For me gaming is not a priority, so I will not change from my openSUSE. But, there I can see the library mess that steam and some of the games produce. Also, using MESA (which also has dependencies on other libs) increases the trouble. (at least some of the library problems seem to be no issue with binary blob drivers).
    Just curious, do you use Tumbleweed or Leap?
    I don't had to "mess" with libraries and steam for a long time and afaik often more problems arise on blobs.
    Maybe it's a distribution problem but on Arch Steam is running fine here on RadeonSi.

Comment

Guys, I'm hesitating in buying AMD grapics, always bought nVidia previously. I had an HD 5850 back in the day that I got from a friend, which was horrible in rendering 3D graphics.
      This left a bad taste. I want to support AMD get back up. So can anyone tell me from their own experience how sound over dp/hdmi work, if it works? And are there any games that refuse to run under an rx 480? with nVidia I have not had such problems.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post

Just curious, do you use Tumbleweed or Leap?
        I don't had to "mess" with libraries and steam for a long time and afaik often more problems arise on blobs.
        Maybe it's a distribution problem but on Arch Steam is running fine here on RadeonSi.
        I'm using Leap 42.2
        One problem IIRC was the use of openssl in MESA where steam uses an old version and the api/interface changed. IIRC when MESA is compiled with libnettle (whatever this means) it works. [1] also suggests, why it works on Arch - you get specifically compiled versions of the old steam libs https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=988273

Comment

Definitely nice seeing the RX 480 outperforming the GTX 970 in many cases, as it should. Thought about buying an RX 480 when it came out, but the state of the drivers at the time was such that my GTX 970 would have outperformed it in practically everything except OpenCL. Now we're however too close to Vega and the RX 580 (which is supposed to be a slightly improved 480) for that to make any sense and I blew my hardware budge on a Ryzen upgrade instead, which is still a paperweight as no matter how hard I look, nobody here in Finland has compatible motherboards to sell from a vendor other than Asus.

Oh and before anyone asks: I've had some really horrid experiences with Asus in the past. SATA connectors physically falling off a motherboard, parts failing mere months after the warranty ran out, a terrible backlight bleed they refused to fix even thou it was still under warranty and all round garbage customer service.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Decades ago I ditcehed ATI cards and was a fan of nvidia gpus. When I did build a new pc, I did not much inspect Linux driver support for the A8-7600 that was (and is) the cheapest quad core APU. Fglrx driver did work well and when Amd moved to amdgpu driver, it is working fine.

So based on that I bought RX460. It took a week to make it work, there was bugs in Mesa and I did not know how to configure a custom kernel for it. After that all is good. My kid is planning to upgrade 750ti and RX470 is my choice.

Hdmi audio takes many cpu cycles, you do not want to that in a high performance gaming pc. Monitor speakers are crap too. From gearbest.com you can buy new SMSL SA-36A Pro amplifier and if you are on budget buy second hand 8 ohm hifi speakers. In steam there are not so many games that are nvidia only and many of those do work with Mesa. If you are a game developer you want that everyone plays your game.
            My current situation does not allow me to change my audio setup, plus all the prices are more expensive in Finland, and I have external speakers but no space to deploy them on. Can I assume by your answer that sound over dp/hdmi work and that you have tested this?

Comment

Originally posted by Kendji View Post

My current situation does not allow me to change my audio setup, plus all the prices are more expensive in Finland, and I have external speakers but no space to deploy them on. Can I assume by your answer that sound over dp/hdmi work and that you have tested this?
              No, sound over hdmi/dp does not work with upstream amdgpu kernel driver yet. You can make it work by either compiling a custom kernel with the DAL/DC patches or by using amdgpu-pro. It does work on the radeon kenel driver however, but this on does not support gcn>=1.2 gpus, which means no RX4x0. This is one of the reasons i'm still sticking with a card supported by radeon.ko...

Comment

Michael why you don't use R9 285/380 anymore?

Comment

Any chance there could be prices for the cards in the upcoming article? Helps a lot in interpreting the results.

Comment

Originally posted by Klassic Six View Post
                    Michael why you don't use R9 285/380 anymore?
                    See recent HITMAN tests:
                    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would be better if Michael had a card with 4Gb of vram.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
                      It can affect the PTS numbers
                      i know, but this is of little use

Comment

Working...
                      X