Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon vs. NVIDIA Performance For HITMAN On Linux With 17 GPUs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Radeon vs. NVIDIA Performance For HITMAN On Linux With 17 GPUs

    Phoronix: Radeon vs. NVIDIA Performance For HITMAN On Linux With 17 GPUs

    Last week Feral Interactive released the much anticipated Linux port of HITMAN, which debuted for Windows last year. Now that there's benchmark support for HITMAN on Linux, I have been running a number of tests for this game that's powered by the Glacier Engine and making use of OpenGL for rendering on Linux. In this article are our initial AMD Radeon performance figures making use of the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver compared to NVIDIA's driver and the assortment of GeForce results published yesterday.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=24178

  • #2
    Did the GTX1060 and GTX1080 had issues when running at 4K in low settings ? they don't show up on that comparison.

    these results seem very good for RadeonSi, especially when it comes to the RX480, since on windows the RX480 tends to be just marginally slower than the GTX1060, and on this comparison we see just that.

    Nice work done by the devs I guess.

    Comment


    • #3
      Holy cow, those are some really good numbers for Mesa/AMD. I mean, I know my RX 480 does well in this game, but still, didn't expected it to be on par with the 1060 here.

      Good stuff, Michael!

      Edit:
      since on windows the RX480 tends to be just marginally slower than the GTX1060, and on this comparison we see just that.
      Hitman is actually one of the few games that massively favour AMD cards on Windows, even with Dx11.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Max Payne View Post
        Did the GTX1060 and GTX1080 had issues when running at 4K in low settings ? they don't show up on that comparison.
        With the 378.09 driver it did in some earlier tests, but when moving to 378.13 testing used for this article at first I wasn't running it at 4k low quality until Feral mentioned it may have been a driver issue and ended up being fixed in 378.13. So it does ruun on the 1060 and 1080, just hadn't added it when doing those tests.
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          So unreal to see such impressive numbers with RadeonSI drivers vs. closed nvidia drivers. Thanks for the comparison.

          Edit: I think i'll give this game a try on Linux.
          Last edited by octra; 02-22-2017, 02:54 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            I just asked on the previous thread, but I'm having trouble getting any benchmarks to work for Hitman. I can't find a way to kick them off in the game itself, or Feral's 'pre-game' screen. And the game crashes when I try to run it via phoronix-test-suite. Any notion what I might be doing wrong?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Ray Ingles View Post
              I just asked on the previous thread, but I'm having trouble getting any benchmarks to work for Hitman. I can't find a way to kick them off in the game itself, or Feral's 'pre-game' screen. And the game crashes when I try to run it via phoronix-test-suite. Any notion what I might be doing wrong?
              There isn't any in-game menu option for it, I was told by Feral that they may add it to their own launch area in the future. For now just exposed via command line options.

              As far as why it's not working via PTS, are your Steam games installed via the standard install paths? Seeing the game launch just briefly and quit is expected. PTS with most Steam games first triggers the game execution via the steam command, captures what environment variables are being set to get the game to work with its binary, then kills the game. Then PTS goes ahead and tries triggering the binary of the game itself with the captured env vars (it's a mess, but needed to properly deal with all the different Linux games and library options). So in your case would most likely be having problems firing it up via PTS for the actual benchmark if you don't have your Steam library in the standard path.
              Michael Larabel
              http://www.michaellarabel.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Michael View Post

                There isn't any in-game menu option for it, I was told by Feral that they may add it to their own launch area in the future. For now just exposed via command line options.

                As far as why it's not working via PTS, are your Steam games installed via the standard install paths? Seeing the game launch just briefly and quit is expected. PTS with most Steam games first triggers the game execution via the steam command, captures what environment variables are being set to get the game to work with its binary, then kills the game. Then PTS goes ahead and tries triggering the binary of the game itself with the captured env vars (it's a mess, but needed to properly deal with all the different Linux games and library options). So in your case would most likely be having problems firing it up via PTS for the actual benchmark if you don't have your Steam library in the standard path.
                No, the Hitman game files are in "~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Hitman™/", which would seem to be the correct place. I assume I should have Steam running and logged in; is that correct? Is there any debug information I could provide that'd be helpful?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Ray Ingles View Post

                  No, the Hitman game files are in "~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Hitman™/", which would seem to be the correct place. I assume I should have Steam running and logged in; is that correct? Is there any debug information I could provide that'd be helpful?
                  That sounds correct. Yeah steam should be setup and running in a separate process. If you can post the output of "phoronix-test-sute debug-run hitman" I can take a look.
                  Michael Larabel
                  http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Well, I tried to send you a private message with all this stuff, but it says you're over quota. :-) So, I'm afraid I'll have to dump it here:

                    Here's the output when I run 'phoronix-test-suite debug-run hitman'. Just for grins, I saw an error and tried pulling the librtmp.so.0 out of the .steam runtime files and put it in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu directory, but then it just complained about a different library. I must assume that, for whatever reason, it's not getting the environment variable quite right. Note that the log file referenced in the output below is empty, zero bytes.

                    The key issue seems to be the "read: Illegal option -d" error. That's indicative of 'read' being run under sh, not bash. There's a discussion here about how, even with a "#!/bin/bash" at the start of the script, you can run into this problem if the script is run with "sh script.sh" instead of "bash script.sh". I don't see how pre.sh is being called, so you might look into that.

                    In any case, thanks for taking a look, and especially for all the work you do for the site!

                    ---------
                    $ phoronix-test-suite debug-run hitman


                    HITMAN:
                    pts/hitman-1.0.0
                    Graphics Test Configuration
                    1: 800 x 600
                    2: 1024 x 768
                    3: 1280 x 800
                    4: 1280 x 960
                    5: 1440 x 900
                    6: 1280 x 1024
                    7: 1680 x 1050
                    8: 1920 x 1080
                    9: 2560 x 1440
                    10: Test All Options
                    Resolution: 9


                    1: Low
                    2: Medium
                    3: Ultra
                    4: Test All Options
                    Quality Level: 2


                    ========================================
                    Phoronix Test Suite v5.2.1
                    System Information
                    ========================================

                    Hardware:
                    Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K @ 5.90GHz (8 Cores), Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3, Chipset: Intel 2nd Generation Core Family DRAM, Memory: 16384MB, Disk: 256GB SanDisk SDSSDHP2 + 500GB Samsung SSD 850 + 2 x 1000GB Seagate ST1000DM003-9YN1 + 2000GB Hitachi HUA72202, Graphics: eVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4096MB (1163/3505MHz), Audio: Realtek ALC892, Network: Intel 82579V Gigabit Connection

                    Software:
                    OS: Ubuntu 16.10, Kernel: 4.8.0-39-generic (x86_64), Desktop: Xfce 4.12, Display Server: X Server 1.18.4, Display Driver: NVIDIA 375.39, OpenGL: 4.5.0, Compiler: GCC 6.2.0 20161005, File-System: ext4 (ecryptfs), Screen Resolution: 2560x2464


                    Running Pre-Test Script
                    Running Steam on ubuntu 16.10 64-bit
                    STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
                    /home/sorceror/.phoronix-test-suite/test-profiles/pts/hitman-1.0.0/pre.sh: 13: read: Illegal option -d

                    ========================================
                    HITMAN (Run 1 of 1)
                    ========================================


                    Test Run Command: cd /home/sorceror/.phoronix-test-suite/installed-tests/pts/hitman-1.0.0/ && ./hitman -ao START_BENCHMARK true -ao BENCHMARK_SCENE_INDEX 1 -ao AUTO_QUIT_ENGINE 120 ConsoleCmd UI_ShowProfileData 1 ConsoleCmd EnableFPSLimiter 0 -ao FullScreen 1 ConsoleCmd settings_vsync 0 ConsoleCmd settings_SetHDR 0 -ao RESOLUTION 2560x1440 ConsoleCmd settings_SetDetailLOD 1 ConsoleCmd settings_SetAntialiasing 2 ConsoleCmd settings_SetTextureQuality 1 ConsoleCmd settings_SetTextureFilter 1 ConsoleCmd settings_SetSSAO 1 ConsoleCmd settings_SetShadowResolution 1 2>&1

                    ./HitmanPro: error while loading shared libraries: librtmp.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
                    cat: /home/sorceror//.local/share/feral-interactive/HITMAN/VFS/User/hitman/profiledata.txt: No such file or directory

                    Result Parsing Line Before Hint: frames


                    [NOTICE] strpos(): Offset not contained in string:637

                    Result Line:


                    Test Result Value:


                    The test run did not produce a result.


                    Log File At: /home/sorceror/.phoronix-test-suite/installed-tests/pts/hitman-1.0.0/hitman-1.0.0-1487793030-1.log


                    ###############################################
                    HITMAN:
                    Resolution: 2560 x 1440 - Quality Level: Medium


                    Average: 0 Frames Per Second
                    ###############################################



                    The following tests failed to properly run:

                    - pts/hitman-1.0.0: Resolution: 2560 x 1440 - Quality Level: Medium

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X