Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
    What?
    No, the driver uses a shader cache to store compiled shaders. OpenGL is designed to compile GLSL every time. Using a shader cache only improves loading time (either in startup or loading of new levels ingame), no game loads and compiles shader programs per frame! (that would be the most stupid developer ever)
    I think you don't understand what @geearf was saying; some games load "on the fly" to reduce the need for loading screens (i.e. loading the world in "chunks" as needed). I can't exactly speak for how these games work, but I would assume that when this happens, if any shaders need compilation, you would see some overhead.

I realize that there is already a shader cache on radeonsi but it's not on disk. Considering some games have quite a lot of shaders, if the cache is prone to fill up for particular games, I would think that having a disk cache could be significant for those games.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Someone should teach you how a video card works (or workloads in general), but that someone is not me.
      Someone should teach you basic computer maths. For a certain quality and certain flop power there is certain fps. When you double the flop power you also double fps (if the cpu can keep up filling in this range). If this is not happening then the smaller gpu renders with less quality. You cannot magically win some fps.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
        I can't exactly speak for how these games work, but I would assume that when this happens, if any shaders need compilation, you would see some overhead.
        Not just overhead, some games will stutter on shaders compilation (I seen this in Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead 2).

Comment

Where are the "nouveau (default settings) vs. Radeon/AMDGPU (default settings)" Benchmarks?

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post

Someone should teach you basic computer maths. For a certain quality and certain flop power there is certain fps. When you double the flop power you also double fps (if the cpu can keep up filling in this range). If this is not happening then the smaller gpu renders with less quality. You cannot magically win some fps.
            You're making the assumption that the shader power is the only possible bottleneck in framerates.. If the primary bottleneck is in VRAM bandwidth/latency or PCI Express transfers, then doubling the number of shaders in the GPU won't make as much of a difference in your framerates.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
              I think you don't understand what @geearf was saying; some games load "on the fly" to reduce the need for loading screens (i.e. loading the world in "chunks" as needed). I can't exactly speak for how these games work, but I would assume that when this happens, if any shaders need compilation, you would see some overhead.

I realize that there is already a shader cache on radeonsi but it's not on disk. Considering some games have quite a lot of shaders, if the cache is prone to fill up for particular games, I would think that having a disk cache could be significant for those games.
              Games may stream data, but this has nothing to do with shader caches. Since you don't know how rendering works, why are you lecturing me? Shaders are never compiled per frame. Shaders are compiled once and then activated with glUseProgram().

Comment

Was this with only the kernel , done for AMD RX480 or was the amd-gpu-pro installed ? a'm a boinc user an wana get hold on OpenCL out of the box ?

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

You're making the assumption that the shader power is the only possible bottleneck in framerates.. If the primary bottleneck is in VRAM bandwidth/latency or PCI Express transfers, then doubling the number of shaders in the GPU won't make as much of a difference in your framerates.
                  This is a very old assumption that you make. Vendors have answer this before: All those things that you talking about have their numbers fixed exactly as needed by shader power. My point is "don't by the GTX1060", it's Nuked because of cheating.

Comment

That's too simple in my opinion. In the case of an RX 480 of course VRAM, PCIe 3.0 and so on are not the bottleneck. But you shouldn't forget that the GTX 1060 has less shaders to stress with higher clocks. Although Nvidia might also "cheat" in some cases within their drivers, their approaches to bind devs to their products etc. this difference in the hardware is one of the biggest factors in my opinion.
                    DOOM with Vulkan shows for example that the RX 480 can easily reach it's full performance which makes it significantly faster than the GTX 1060. So with more Vulkan games these cards will definitely be boosted. But it's not easy to determine yet how many devs will jump on the Vulkan train and how much effort they will put in the optimization. Because no matter which API, what we see from the current games the optimization efforts are what leads to good results with quite heavy GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post

This is a very old assumption that you make. Vendors have answer this before: All those things that you talking about have their numbers fixed exactly as needed by shader power. My point is "don't by the GTX1060", it's Nuked because of cheating.
                      Could you, please, stick to subjects you have at least a vague idea about? Knitting perhaps? Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                      X