AMD Kaveri vs. Intel Skylake With The Latest Linux/Mesa Open-Source Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Kaveri vs. Intel Skylake With The Latest Linux/Mesa Open-Source Drivers

Phoronix: AMD Kaveri vs. Intel Skylake With The Latest Linux/Mesa Open-Source Drivers

I'm in the process of testing a lot of my different CPUs/APUs in preparation for some Kaby Lake Linux benchmarks next week with the Core i5 7600K and Core i7 7700K. Along the way with the different CPU benchmarks I've also been running some fresh integrated Linux graphics tests on the newer and interesting hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Excellent work by the open source Intel driver developers to get a mid-range nothing special IGP in Skylake outperforming AMD's best IGP solution.
    Being the #1 organizational contributor to the Linux Kernel and a major contributor to many other open source projects is certainly paying off.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: AMD Kaveri vs. Intel Skylake With The Latest Linux/Mesa Open-Source Drivers

I'm in the process of testing a lot of my different CPUs/APUs in preparation for some Kaby Lake Linux benchmarks next week with the Core i5 7600K and Core i7 7700K. Along the way with the different CPU benchmarks I've also been running some fresh integrated Linux graphics tests on the newer and interesting hardware...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ke-Early-Tests
      "intel giving amd a run for the money"?
      Michael you should check the prices. The smaller i5 is 2 times more expensive than the kaveri, not even considering motherboard etc.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post

"intel giving amd a run for the money"?
        Michael you should check the prices. The i5 is 2.5 times more expensive than the kaveri, not even considering motherboard etc.
        Considering how much better the i5 is in real-world CPU usage, I'd say the Kaveri needs a price cut.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post

Considering how much better the i5 is in real-world CPU usage, I'd say the Kaveri needs a price cut.
          depends on what you want to do with it. if you only want to game and you are a budget buyer its the kaveri, if you want to work the i5.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            All those games cpu bound and light games for computer. Test with Tomb Raider 2013 etc, but no, this site for intel freaks.
            Tell ya what: Go into the Linux kernel and remove every line that was contributed by Intel. Then try to boot up your miracle "open source" AMD system since you think AMD invented open source software single handedly or something. Go ahead, I'm not going to wait.

Comment

Tell ya what: Go into the Linux kernel and remove every line that was contributed by Intel. Then try to boot up your miracle "open source" AMD system since you think AMD invented open source software single handedly or something. Go ahead, I'm not going to wait.
              Both companies have contributed a lot, but Intel more than AMD, Intel is also the bigger company, and more into server and workstation buisness than AMD currently. But can't we keep the tone civil? I agree with Debianxfe, that the games picked in this test has tendency to be cpu bound. And we all know which is the stronger CPU, but it would be nice to see some non-cpu bound games as well.

Kind regards
              Brut.

Comment

This response makes me feel embarrased for you

Comment

It would be better to test more GPU demanding games eg. Metro, in all tested games CPU is a more important than GPU.

Comment

The intel parts costs 1.75~2.15x the Kaveri where I live

Comment

Working...
                    X