Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon FreeSync 2 Rolled Out With HDR & More

Phoronix: Radeon FreeSync 2 Rolled Out With HDR & More

It was only last month that FreeSync support came to Linux via the hybrid AMDGPU-PRO driver while the open-source FreeSync support for AMDGPU atop DAL/DC has yet to be published. But today the Radeon Technologies Group is already rolling out FreeSync 2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Actually, this is not an evolution of FreeSync (is has nothing to do with FreeSync), it's just piggybacking on an established trademark.
    And also, it's not about delivering HDR. It's about squashing (tone mapping) HDR content back into standard colour space. For some reason, a genius at AMD thought that taking this functionality from monitor's hardware and implementing it in software drivers will cut down on latency. It does cut down on bandwidth usage, though.

Comment

FreeSync can mean anything. If a monitor supports 50-70 Hz, then it is freesync?
      I want 20-120 Hz. The smaller the span is, the more useless it is.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        FreeSync can mean anything. If a monitor supports 50-70 Hz, then it is freesync?
        I want 20-120 Hz. The smaller the span is, the more useless it is.
        not with FreeSync 2 :
        Part of FreeSync 2 now is HDR support and a mandate for Low Framerate Compensation (LFC)
        LFC require at least a ratio of 2x between lower and higher refresh rate.

If a monitor can do 60 to 120 Hz, with LFC if you run at 40 fps, the refresh will be 80 hz, making the game as smooth as if the screen was running at 40 Hz.

Comment

Freesync 2: preventing shit monitor manufactures from making shit freesync implementations + HDR.

Comment

Unfortunately i think i will take some time for this to make it into Linux.
            Fortunately 2017 seems to be a great year for AMD.
            Also when we have mature Open Source drivers, i think that these kind of features will start making into Linux faster.

Comment

I wonder how wayland servers plays with FreeSync / Gsync

Comment

Noone said that this fucking shit is *PROPRIETARY*? :@
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  For some reason, a genius at AMD thought that taking this functionality from monitor's hardware and implementing it in software drivers will cut down on latency.
                  for obvious reason: software drivers will ask hardware videocard to do it, which is much more powerful than monitor and will not add 30ms latency like monitors which need to transform their input

Comment

Originally posted by robin4002 View Post
                    LFC require at least a ratio of 2x between lower and higher refresh rate.
                    last time i checked it required 2.5x, did it change with this announcement?

Comment

Working...
                    X