Details On The PS4's Radeon GPU With Linux Driver Modifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suberimakuri View Post
    Really interesting to watch. Mad clever. I should look up some presentation videos of the previous console work done. Last one I did was original Xbox. Any recommendations most appreciated!
    Here's a video on how they finally properly cracked Sega Saturn after 20 years
    Update Feb 2017 - you can now support this amazing guy via patreon: https://www.patreon.com/prof_abrasiveA detailed look into Dr Abrasive's lab and what it t...

Comment

Thanks Inopia, watching now.

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
        Yes, he is mostly talking about the CP (and attached cores) firmwares and not about most of the things that atomBIOS covers. But... AtomBIOS covers the less contentious stuff, the things the IP company ATI was less afraid to release. And when RadeonHD was done for, the (sanitised) register level information stopped with it, and so did the proper driver with only very very few magical values. The R600 3d engine had only just been brought up enough to render some triangles when RadeonHD was killed off, so we never even got to the point where we could look further. And to be absolutely honest, it might be that the firmwares for those different engines are mostly about management stuff, and are in reality, not that contentious either. But all of that is academic, thanks to several individuals who these forums here seem to revere.

Honestly though, if we at SuSE/RadeonHD had not been shot down, by ATI, some guys from redhat and a few others, and if we had been able to continue, there would've been:
        a) more complete documentation, not just the shader ISA.
        b) a clean, sane (set of) driver(s) which isn't trying to mimic the fglrx driver even further (my reason number 2 against atomBIOS: we'd need to be bug compatible with the windows driver, now guess what), so no insane abstractions, little magic numbers, and no dumb working around firmware bugs.
        c) native code for coreboot and others.
        d) no discussion about holding a vulkan driver back.
        e) a much easier time for Marcan and his buddies.

But that is not what the likes of John Bridgman, and his suitors Alex Deucher, Dave Airlie, Daniel Stone, Adam Jackson, Matthew Garrett, and quite a few others, lied, stole and double-crossed for. I find it amazing that Dave Airlie is pulling his stunts these days, he doesn't shy back from claiming victory over situations he created himself, and he's just showing that he is all about powerplay and politics. He's like Nixon and Vietnam, and the whole ATI story is something worthy of "house of cards".

In between changing diapers and sleeping in shifts, i am slowly getting all my data on live storage, i will soon be able to paint a very concise picture of that RadeonHD story, and there will be a set of big multi post blog entries describing what was going on then. It will be quite an eye-opening spectacle.

Despite the above, that was an AWESOME talk. And i was grinning my head off at some of the hacks employed. I just wish that half that talk was not about my failure to have stopped the flood almost a decade ago. But well done Marcan, and keep up the good work and keep kicking ATI and Sony ass.

I wonder who the unhappy ATI employee is though.
        Did you write about this?

libv Are you still alive or someone sent you the Men In Black?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Did you write about this?

libv Are you still alive or someone sent you the Men In Black?
          He's on #dri-devel, although I never seen him discussing anything; and grepping through my ~/.purple/logs/irc/[email protected]/#dri-devel.chat/ shows that at least for what I have in logs he indeed never did.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
            He's on #dri-devel, although I never seen him discussing anything; and grepping through my ~/.purple/logs/irc/[email protected]/#dri-devel.chat/ shows that at least for what I have in logs he indeed never did.
            Thanks. Now I'm stalking him haha.

.purple? Do you use that piece of broken framework using GObject poison? :P

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
              .purple? Do you use that piece of broken framework using GObject poison? :P
              Pidgin allows me to have hangouts, VKontakte, Facebook, IRC, and Skype all in a single messenger. Although pidgin doesn't work well for IRC, but the positive side definitely outweights it.

Comment

Working...
              X