Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Details On The PS4's Radeon GPU With Linux Driver Modifications

Phoronix: Details On The PS4's Radeon GPU With Linux Driver Modifications

At this week's Chaos Communication Congress (33C3) one of the talks interesting us is on console hacking, due to the PlayStation 4 making use of a Radeon GPU and the work done to modify the open-source Radeon Linux GPU driver to run on the PS4...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...on-Driver-Mods

Will those tools help making an open replacement for AMD closed firmware?

Comment

The firmware is the AtomBIOS? Is it the firmware that libv and RadeonHD was trying to replace?

Comment

They also found AMD internal register documentation that should greatly help in rewriting the blobs.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
          The firmware is the AtomBIOS? Is it the firmware that libv and RadeonHD was trying to replace?
          I would love to know about this. Despite he looks a bit loonie, all too smart people look like that. Maybe he's "crazy" enough to tell the truth and don't play the corporate sucking game

Originally posted by Mathias View Post
          They also found AMD internal register documentation that should greatly help in rewriting the blobs.
          Can it be used without making certain developers angry? If don't, it will never be used in the official MESA code :P

Comment

I'm guessing that the DP is more capable than HDMI port (e.g. HDMI can't do the 3D that Sony needed} and that's why it's used. Or maybe they just wanted to do it weirdly.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
              Can it be used without making certain developers angry? If don't, it will never be used in the official MESA code :P
              Given that some drivers are written entirely without blessed register documentation, I'd assume that the worst case would be needing some intermediary to write new documentation after reading the old, to ensure it qualifies as clean-room reverse-engineering.

Comment

I would love to know about this. Despite he looks a bit loonie, all too smart people look like that.
                That's a fallacy that Hollywood, and popular media in general, continue to parade about.
                The Imitation Game is a fairly recent example.

Comment

He was asked if they wanted to upstream the code. He commented, that he knew that at least one AMD dev didn't want anything to do with the code. But then again AMD couldn't stop them from upstreaming this the kernel... The question is at minute 45 if you want to hear the reply.

Comment

I liked watching this and hope it will lead to more interesting work.

Comment

Working...
                    X