AMDGPU-PRO vs. RadeonSI/RADV & NVIDIA's Linux Drivers To End 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    Hm, disregarding Bioshock, only Fury can occasionally match my 1060, so I must have made the right purchase. But it's a bit strange, because on Windows RX480 seems to be getting ever closer to the GTX 1060. (I believe someone made a comparison between drivers at launch and drivers from November or so.)
    The issue is not Linux vs Windows, it's OpenGL vs DirectX.

December benchmarks are even more interesting.
    Test signature

Comment

Hm, disregarding Bioshock, only Fury can occasionally match my 1060, so I must have made the right purchase. But it's a bit strange, because on Windows RX480 seems to be getting ever closer to the GTX 1060. (I believe someone made a comparison between drivers at launch and drivers from November or so.)
      Why strange, different systems and OSes runs differently... i would be surprised if there is no difference
      Last edited by dungeon; 28 December 2016, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

The issue is not Linux vs Windows, it's OpenGL vs DirectX.

December benchmarks are even more interesting.
        Ok. Any estimate on when AMD will catch up in OpenGL department then? Just a ballpark figure.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          i want to buy a HBM2.0 VEGA card... maybe together with amd-rayzen...
          ryzen. good choice
          Originally posted by Qaridarium
          but to break monopoly i also have a eye on RISC-V and Power8/9...
          civilization will not run on it, sadly

Comment

1080 is destroyed by fury radeonsi in triangle. nice

Comment

Ok. Any estimate on when AMD will catch up in OpenGL department then? Just a ballpark figure.
              it is not amd. it is dx game with shitty opengl port. when native vulkan games will come

Comment

I must have made the right purchase
                sponsoring most linux-hostile vendor is never right

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Right, because if it used closed-source software then it wouldn't be FOSS (or as you said, upstreamed), so why would I say that otherwise? What you said is pretty much what I said. That's what I'm confused about; I don't see where I'm wrong.
                  I don't think you're wrong, the following sentence may have been confusing though:
                  radeon is open source and strictly kernel level, amdgpu-pro is partially closed source and does some stuff at user level.
                  as you oppose radeon and amdgpu-pro, ie a kernel driver (unrelated to amdgpu-pro unlike amdgpu) and a full stack.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post
                    Help me out. What's AMD's reasoning for maintaining two seperate driver implementations?
                    the simple answer is they maintain the -PRO version for workstation certification purposes (and thus need to provide all the features like DAL and have that codebase shared with the main windows driver)

Corporate clients want to know if they can have their 100k+ a year engineers working 100% of the time on their 10k+ workstations. For these people ensuring that the work is correct is more important that features or FOSS, hence certification.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      it is not amd. it is dx game with shitty opengl port. when native vulkan games will come
                      It's not. Unigine benchmark is 100% OpenGL and the performance compared with windows is terrible: 20-30% less performance. A year has passed and AMD linux drivers are still trash (both open source and proprietary).

Comment

Working...
                      X