• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passso
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    sponsoring most linux-hostile vendor is never right
    Even when most-hostile gives the most-performant experience?

I fully understand that for some people open source drivers are important, but NVidia makes a good job and delivers drivers day-1 for Linux on-par with Windows.
    Last edited by Passso; 29 December 2016, 09:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Strunkenbold
    replied
    OpenGL Performance in Unigine Heaven on my 7970 is actually better on Linux Mesa GIT vs Windows 10 Crimson Relive. 60 vs 58 fps.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    None of the images/charts in this article show up for me. Other articles work fine.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by Screech View Post
    It's not. Unigine benchmark is 100% OpenGL and the performance compared with windows is terrible: 20-30% less performance. A year has passed and AMD linux drivers are still trash (both open source and proprietary).
    I don't think so. More like 3-4% performance difference for between Windows & Linux for the closed-source GL driver, and a bit over 10% for the open source GL driver back in August. Since then the open source driver has pretty much caught up with the closed driver on Heaven - only 2 fps difference now vs 5 fps a few months ago.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ux-rx480&num=1

You may be comparing DirectX on Windows with OpenGL on Linux, which would give you the 20-30% performance delta you mentioned.
    Last edited by bridgman; 29 December 2016, 05:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Screech
    replied
    In Unigine Heaven in windows DX11 I get a score of 1300 and in linux opengl 900... A year has passed and the linux drivers are not close to windows performance... In windows with each major game you get new optimized drivers, in linux AMDGPU-PRO is updated once at 4 months and the drivers are still experimental/beta...

Leave a comment:

• Screech
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    it is not amd. it is dx game with shitty opengl port. when native vulkan games will come
    It's not. Unigine benchmark is 100% OpenGL and the performance compared with windows is terrible: 20-30% less performance. A year has passed and AMD linux drivers are still trash (both open source and proprietary).

Leave a comment:

• boxie
    replied
    Originally posted by Tuxee View Post
    Help me out. What's AMD's reasoning for maintaining two seperate driver implementations?
    the simple answer is they maintain the -PRO version for workstation certification purposes (and thus need to provide all the features like DAL and have that codebase shared with the main windows driver)

Corporate clients want to know if they can have their 100k+ a year engineers working 100% of the time on their 10k+ workstations. For these people ensuring that the work is correct is more important that features or FOSS, hence certification.

Leave a comment:

• geearf
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Right, because if it used closed-source software then it wouldn't be FOSS (or as you said, upstreamed), so why would I say that otherwise? What you said is pretty much what I said. That's what I'm confused about; I don't see where I'm wrong.
    I don't think you're wrong, the following sentence may have been confusing though:
    radeon is open source and strictly kernel level, amdgpu-pro is partially closed source and does some stuff at user level.
    as you oppose radeon and amdgpu-pro, ie a kernel driver (unrelated to amdgpu-pro unlike amdgpu) and a full stack.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    I must have made the right purchase
    sponsoring most linux-hostile vendor is never right

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    Ok. Any estimate on when AMD will catch up in OpenGL department then? Just a ballpark figure.
    it is not amd. it is dx game with shitty opengl port. when native vulkan games will come

Leave a comment:

Working...
X